July 15, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2266  2267

1. Reuters: Press Hails IMF Loan, Warns of Future Debt.
2. Oleg Kalugin: Anatol Lieven.
3. Egor Engelhardt: Arbatov on START-II.
4. AP: Little Enthusiasm for Czar Burial.
5. Reuters: Yeltsin hopes for new Russian president in 2000.
6. Moscow Times: Tatyana Matsuk, ESSAY: In Russia, Women Should
Not Be Weak or Ill.

7. Financial Times (UK): IMF: Russia's New Deal. John Thornhill asks
whether the IMF's rescue package will save Boris Yeltsin and the rouble.

8. Itar-Tass: Russian Economist Comments on 'Offhand Handling' of
Gazprom. (Dmitriy Lvov).

9. Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Tatiana Koshkareva and Rustam Narzikulov,
STAY OF EXECUTION. (Re IMF loan).

10. Journal of Commerce editorial: Once more, with feeling.
("Is Russia worth it?...)

11. Moscow Times: Ivan Watson, Searching in Vain for Jogger's Paradise
in Moscow. (DJ: And now for something completely different. As a sometime
runner in Moscow I can relate to this piece. Any other Moscow runners,
beside Pete Heinlein? Washington runners?)

12. Reuters: Yeltsin rules out early poll, dissolution of parliament.
13. RIA Novosti: BALTIC NATO MEMBERSHIP WILL MAKE RUSSIA RECONSIDER
RELATIONS WITH ALLIANCE, WARNS FOREIGN MINISTRY.]

Press Hails IMF Loan, Warns of Future Debt
July 14, 1998

MOSCOW -- (Reuters) Many Russian newspapers on Tuesday hailed the
international financial community's agreement to lend Russia billions of
dollars in new aid but some warned of the heavy debt leaders were
passing on to future generations.

"Delay of the death penalty," read the headline in Nezavisimaya Gazeta.

"The large credit from the IMF freezes questions about devaluation,
greatly increases the country's debt and will lead to the dollarization
of the economy," the daily said.

International lenders on Monday threw Russia's economy a $22.6 billion
lifeline in new credits spread over 1998 and 1999 in an effort to help
the government deal with an acute financial crisis.

"This is the greatest success of the Russian government," wrote Novye
Izvestiya. "No one has ever presented our country with such an amount in
a single decision."

Segodnya said the International Monetary Fund support was all the more
significant because of the IMF's own financial limitations.

"Taking into account the current creditworthiness of the IMF, it (the
loan) can be considered a good achievement," it wrote.

But Segodnya -- and many other newspapers -- expressed concern about the
future burden.

"Russia will have a lot of money, and many debts," read Segodnya's
front-page headline.

Novye Izvestiya wrote that the country's current debts would last for
generations.

"The new billions come on top of the government's $200 billion internal
and external debt which even our children won't be able to pay off. It
will be left to our grandchildren," the paper said.

Deputy Prime Minister Boris Nemtsov last week estimated the country's
overall debt at $200 billion.

Some newspapers highlighted the personal achievement for Anatoly
Chubais, Russia's top debt negotiator, who as the father of the
country's privatization program has been at the center of controversy
for years.

Nezavisimaya, which is close to businessman Boris Berezovsky, an
outspoken Chubais rival, said the negotiator's success in winning the
loan would have only a small impact in boosting the economy.

"The victory for Chubais is not a victory for Russia in the struggle
with economic crisis," it said. "Even after these billions arrive in the
country it seems like efforts to end economic depression in our country
will not end."

"The IMF aid is just an aspirin tablet which will lower the temperature
of the sick Russian economy from 40 to 38 degrees (Celsius), but is
unable to cure it."

The opposition Sovietskaya Rossiya newspaper raised the hope for the
resignation of President Boris Yeltsin on its front page and expressed
little faith in the impact of the new loans.

"Experts say that even if Russia succeeds in getting the IMF
stabilization credits worth $15 billion, it will not save the ruble and
it will have to be devalued, leading to an immediate rise in prices
inside the country," it said.

In some newspapers, the credits did not receive top billing.

Financial newspaper Kommersant Daily devoted its largest headline to
France's joy over winning the World Cup.

Novye Izvestiya ran a large color photo above the fold on the front page
showing hundreds of youths kissing in a park -- a celebration unrelated
to the financial world's helping hand.