July 14, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2263  2264  2265

ohnson's Russia List

1. AP: John Iams, Russia Bailout Awais Parliament OK.
2. Jim Vail: Photographs of Chechnya.
3. John Varoli: Anekdoti.
4. Stephen Blank: IMF.
5. The Moscow Tribune: John Helmer, BAILOUT FOR WASHINGTON.
6. Itar-Tass: Moscow's Luzhkov Sees Popular Discontent Increasing.
7. The Times (UK) editorial: A TSAR TOO FAR.
8. Moscow Times: Ben Aris, Tobacco Companies Target Young Russians.
9. AP: Dafna Linzer, Ex-Soviet Women Become Prostitutes.
10. RIA Novosti: ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGICAL MEANS OF PHYSICALLY
PROTECTING NUCLEAR MATERIALS AND RADIOACTIVE SUBSTANCES ARE
OBSOLESCENT AND THEIR SERVICE LIFE IS USED UP AT 70% OF
NUCLEAR-RISK FACILITIES.

11. The Globe and Mail (Canada): Geoffrey York, Russian courts.
12. Izvestia: Alexander Bovin, NATO'S ENLARGEMENT TO THE EAST A FOLLY.]

Russia Bailout Awaits Parliament OK
By John Iams
July 14, 1998

MOSCOW (AP) -- Trying to avoid confrontation, President Boris Yeltsin
invited parliament leaders to the Kremlin on Tuesday for tea and cookies to
urge them -- nicely -- to pass the government's austerity plan.
At stake could be the fate of a much-needed bailout package by
international lenders. The International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, and
the Japanese government agreed Monday to give Russia $17.1 billion in new
loans to boost its economy.
When combined with already-negotiated loans, the bailout agreement
totals $22.6 billion.
But if the State Duma, parliament's lower house, turns down Yeltsin's
economic plan, the IMF and other lenders might withhold the loans, which
Russia needs urgently.
``We are one team, we are one state, we are the leaders of this state,''
Yeltsin told the lawmakers. ``We shall not be able to implement (the
program) if you do not confirm it.''
The Duma will hold a special session Wednesday to debate the package,
and passage is far from certain. Yeltsin has had a long history of clashes
with communists and other hard-liners who dominate the legislative body.
One lawmaker said it was the first time Yeltsin was not confrontational.
``For the first time, the president was in a very peaceful mood,'' said
Nikolai Kharitonov, leader of the Agrarian Party. ``I have met him many
times, but today was the first time tea was served.''
Yeltsin said it was important for parliament to act now.
``Of course, I can decide some matters myself,'' Yeltsin told the
legislators, indicating that he might implement part of the plan by decree.
``But ... the destiny of the program depends on you.''
News of the loan agreement gave an immediate boost to Russia's hard-hit
stock market, which has lost more than half its value this year.
Stocks shot up 16.8 percent Tuesday, on the heels of a 9 percent surge
on Monday. It was the market's best showing since the crisis began in May.
``The optimism is all around the place, and people believe that if
Russia gets serious about fixing its problems, it could be really a great
story again,'' said Dmitry Kryukov, a trader at the MFK Renaissance
investment bank in Moscow.
Russia's Central Bank said its hard-currency reserves had fallen to
$13.5 billion Tuesday, from $15.1 billion earlier this month. Bank Chairman
Sergei Dubinin said he expects reserves to rise as money begins to arrive
from the loan package.

The IMF board is to meet in Washington on Monday to review the loan
agreement, and it could send $5 billion or more to Russia as soon as next
week. The IMF wants Russia to address chronic problems such as its budget
deficit and its inability to collect taxes, however.
Yeltsin's administration has sent more than 20 proposals to parliament,
but communist lawmakers and other opponents have resisted spending cuts and
tax increases. They say the government should be spending more money, not
less, to help struggling Russian citizens and companies.
The State Duma turned down several proposals earlier this month, and
communist leaders have not given any indication that their position has
changed.
Millions of Russians have been pushed into poverty by the country's
shrinking economy during the 1990s, and the infusion of cash is designed to
ward off another big downturn.

Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998
From: Jim Vail (Jim_Vail@yr.com)
Subj.: Photographs of Chechnya

I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find photographs of
Chechnya of burning buildings in Grozny during the war. A German
journalist is about to publish a book and needed some photos. Any help
would be appreciated. Thanks,