June 19, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2229  2230

BARGAIN VIDEO and THE RUSSIA WEEKLY:
As a JRL recipient you can purchase a VHS tape of
David Johnson's TV documentary on "America's Impact on Russia"
for ONLY $19! This program is a half-hour episode of the Center
for Defense Information's weekly television series, America's Defense
Monitor. Also: CDI is now sponsoring, with funding from the Carnegie
Corporation
of New York, The Russia Weekly which replaces Johnson's Russia List
Weekly. If you are interested in the weekly version please let me know.
More important: please let your friends and colleagues (who may be less
fanatically interested in Russia) know that there is a weekly e-mail
newsletter on Russia that will keep them informed of important developments
in this fascinating country. Please support the management. End of
commercial.

[Note from David Johnson;
1. Reuters: Yeltsin says Russia ``hanging on.''
2. Christian Caryl: Request for information on the looting of Russia's
natural
resources.

3. Fred Weir on labor protests.
4. John Danzer: How Lebed "SHAPES" Up.
5. Toronto Sun: Matthew Fisher on men and women in Russia. (Featuring
Michele Berdy).

6. RFE/RL: Floriana Fossato .Chubais Regarded As Possible Panacea --
Possible Scapegoat.

7. Trud: Vitaly Golovachev, HUMILIATION. (Latest public opionion poll on
political attitudes.)

8. Mayak Radio Network: Zhirinovskiy Warns of Impending Coup.
9. AP: Maura Reynolds, Gardening Key to Survival in Russia.
10. Business Week: Patricia Kranz, WILL THE RUBLE BRING DOWN THE
BANKS?

11. Itar-Tass: Duma Defense Committee To Draft Recommendations on
START II.]

**********

Yeltsin says Russia ``hanging on''
By Philippa Fletcher

KOSTROMA, Russia, June 19 (Reuters) - President Boris Yeltsin said on Friday
Russia's battered economy was ``hanging on'' and repeated his view Moscow
needed moral support rather than hard cash.

``Now there is a world financial crisis even strong countries like Japan are
suffering,'' Yeltsin told reporters after flying to Kostroma, a provincial
Russian town 320 km (200 miles) northeast of Moscow. ``We are hanging on for
now.''

On his first regional trip this year, Yeltsin plans to visit a monastery,
collective farm and a factory. He said he chose Kostroma, an ancient town on
the Volga River, at random by dangling a pencil over a map.

Yeltsin said he had already told leaders such as U.S. President Bill Clinton
and German Chancellor Helmut Kohl their backing was more important than
handouts.

``I did not beg,'' he said. ``We don't need money, we need support. They
believe we will hang on and not weaken. Their announcements on that score are
decisive for all the investors and banks in the world.''

Yeltsin has said before that Russia does not need money from the West, a
sweeping statement usually taken to mean a rejection of a humiliating rescue
package rather than of International Monetary Fund or capital markets
resources.

His latest comments came just a day after government ministers said Russia
needed at least $10 billion from the IMF to help stabilise its turbulent

markets.

``The rouble is steady but at the limit. We in fact don't have enough money
for payments. This is where the delays come from,'' Yeltsin said, referring to
wage arrears that have prompted big protests by scientists, miners and other
workers across Russia. ``But it is a temporary thing.''

He said he would discuss a programme to tackle the crisis at a meeting with
the government and parliament on June 23.

``I will make a speech. Then we will confirm the programme,'' he said.

Yeltsin said an IMF mission arriving next week would be told by Russian
officials what steps the country was taking to overcome the financial crisis.

The IMF on Thursday decided to put off a decision on whether to disburse a
$670 million tranche of an existing loan, saying Moscow had not fulfilled all
its promises on reforms.

Russian Finance Minister Mikhail Zadornov told Reuters in Moscow on Friday he
was confident that three unspecified sticking points would be removed in talks
with the mission. The IMF has said it could also offer Russia extra help, but
with tough strings attached.

Kostroma is one of many Russian towns suffering from the effects of the
wrenching political and economic changes which have followed communism's fall.

Boris Korobov, mayor of the town of 300,000 people, cited a web of debts among
enterprises and state organisations, delays in paying wages and the city's
inability to meet energy bills which had meant cuts in electricity and hot
water.

``We hope that all these issues, which are typical for the majority of Russian
towns, will be among the main themes which come up in the conversations with
the head of state,'' Itar-Tass news agency quoted him as saying.
The Kremlin leader, trying to restore investor confidence in Russia's shaky
economy, is seeking to rally the regions behind an austerity drive with a
series of trips to the provinces, of which Kostroma is first on the list.

*********