June 14, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2220  2221

1. Sunday Times (UK): Mark Franchetti, Panic grips Kremlin in
$180m diamond scandal.

2. Paul Christensen: Manuscript by Victor Reuther on experiences of
foreign workers, including himself, under Stalin.

3. Edward Lozansky: Statement of Participants of the Third International
Conference "Past, Present and Future of Russia."

4. U.S. News and World Report: Christian Caryl, Pasta king explains how
Russia's economy really works; and Russia Media. Crisis? What crisis?

5. RIA Novosti: Democratic Choice of Russia Congress.
6. The Economist: Resurrecting Russia’s arts.
7. Baltimore Sun: World nervously observing Russian economic crisis.
8. Komsomolskaya Pravda: Interview with musician Mstislav Rostropovich by
Aleksandr Gamov, "Mstislav Rostropovich: Yeltsin Can Put Anyone in Their
Place. But Not His Place."]

Sunday Times (UK)
{for personal use only]
Panic grips Kremlin in $180m diamond scandal
by Mark Franchetti, Moscow

HE seemed to have all the attributes needed for success in the new
Russia. Brash, smart and rich, Andrei Kozlenok was proud of his
influential contacts within the Kremlin and the former KGB.
However, after two years on the run in America and Belgium, Kozlenok is
facing extradition to Russia for trial over a diamond scandal that could
implicate some of the country's leading politicians.

Kozlenok, 38, held in a prison cell in Greece, is accused of swindling
more than $180m in diamonds, gems and gold from the Russian government
with the help of corrupt officials in the chaos after the collapse of
communism in 1991. News of his imminent return to Moscow has panicked
former friends in high places who fear he will name them.

Viktor Chernomyrdin, the former Russian prime minister - who denies any
links to the scandal - is expected to be questioned by prosecutors.
Ruslan Tumayev, a senior investigator in the prosecutor's office who has
been pursuing the case, said he had interviewed other top officials,
including Boris Fyodorov, recently appointed as President Boris
Yeltsin's tax minister. Fyodorov has also denied all wrong-doing.

The ambitious Kozlenok allegedly used his high-level connections to win
an introduction to Yevgeny Bychkov who, as head of the now defunct state
committee for precious metals and stones, organised huge sales of
diamonds from Russia's mines. Bychov has since been sacked and charged
with abusing his position, but then exonerated under a broader amnesty.
Kozlenok then went to America where, with two Armenians, he founded
Golden ADA, a California-based company that signed an agreement with
Bychkov in early 1993 to polish and sell precious stones abroad on
behalf of the Russian government.

Two consignments of gold, diamonds and Russian pre-revolutionary coins
followed, one valued at $95m, another at $88m. On one occasion five tons
of gold coins were delivered.

Instead of handing the proceeds to the Russian government, Kozlenok
allegedly went on a shopping spree, acquiring a Gulfstream jet for $20m,
three yachts for $1.2m, nine villas, a helicopter, two Aston Martins, a
£337,000 Rolls-Royce, speedboats and several flats.

Kozlenok's lawyers claim his contract with the Russian government gives
him until 1999 to settle his debts. Prosecutors say most of the money
was squandered and want to know the role, if any, of Chernomyrdin,
Fyodorov and other officials.

The Americans are also keen to talk to Kozlenok; the Internal Revenue
Service claims Golden ADA owes it $63m in taxes.

"Kozlenok thought he was suddenly the richest man in the world," said
Tumayev. "He was flashy. He would get $200 haircuts and overspend
massively. He would offer a $5,000 salary to someone used to earning
$1,000. I believe Kozlenok is the main man, but what needs to be
clarified is who else profited. He knows a lot. He could bring down many
high-ranking officials with him."

Kozlenok, who was arrested at Athens airport in January, has fought hard
to avoid extradition and to be granted political asylum on the grounds
that his life is in danger. Sergei Dovbish, one of his business
partners, was found hanged on a radiator by the neck of his sweater
while in police custody.

"There is a strong effort to silence all innocent individuals who, not
having other ways to protect themselves, are forced to make public all
the information they possess," Kozlenok wrote from his cell. "Given this
last incident, I shall not have more than two or three days to live if I
am extradited to Russia."