June 9, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2211 2212

1. Financial Times (UK): Stephen Fidler, RUSSIA: $10bn federal
budget 'misspent.'

2. Yeltsin Radio Address Reviews Financial Situation.,
3. Informatsionnoye Agentstvo Ekho Moskvy: Businessmen Urge Support
For Government Economic Measures.

4. Reuters: Russian tax collection tough to improve.
5. Reuters: IMF sees no urgent need for more Russia aid.
6. Kris Worrell: Nikolai Bukharin book.
7. Hippocrene Books: Lynn Visson, "WEDDED STRANGERS: The Challenges
of Russian-American Marriages."

8. Moscow Times: Dmitry Zaks, U.S. Reviewer Pans Kokh's Pricey Book.
(Marshall Goldman).

9. NTV: Yeltsin Addresses Governors, Calls for Economizing.
10. Interfax: Russia's Interior Minister on Growth in Crime Rate.
11. Reuters: Drug-taking threatens Russian AIDS explosion.
12. Komsomolskaya Pravda: Acquaintances Recall Kiriyenko Formative
Years.]

Financial Times (UK)
RUSSIA: $10bn federal budget 'misspent'
By Stephen Fidler in Washington

At least one-sixth of Russia's federal budget was misspent last year,
according to a senior auditor who is also a critic of President Boris
Yeltsin's reformist government.
Venyamin Sokolov, head of the Chamber of Accounts of the Russian
Federation, indicated that the equivalent of at least $10bn had gone
astray through mismanagement, corruption and for other reasons.
In an interview in Washington, he said Russia's finance ministry had no
systematic way of accounting for income and expenditure and had resisted
attempts to persuade it to put a transparent accounting system in place.
Control over state money is a long-standing problem for the finance
ministry. However, Russian officials and the International Monetary Fund
say the situation has improved markedly this year with the introduction
of a western-style treasury system.
Mr Sokolov said that last year about $10bn had not been spent as legally
directed - about one-sixth of the federal budget. "This is only the sum
we've got documentary evidence for. My estimate is the real total is
double that amount."
Mr Sokolov said the finance ministry resisted pressure to improve its
accounting because "it allows them to do what they want with the federal
budget".
The Chamber of Accounts, which was established in 1995 to monitor
government spending, is an agency with a strong Communist contingent
which has long been viewed with suspicion by Russia's market reformers.
Mr Sokolov was deputy head of the old Supreme Soviet which was dissolved
in 1993 after becoming involved in an uprising against Mr Yeltsin.
Mr Sokolov said that audits for 1995 and 1996 indicated that "not a
single article of the federal budget law was observed".
Mr Sokolov cited one case where a $150m government credit was provided
to the Moscow Aircraft Production Combine to manufacture Mig-29 jets for
delivery to India. "As a result of our audit, we found that there did
not exist and still does not exist any contract with India for the
delivery of aeroplanes. In any case, the planes had already been built
and were in place on factory land," he said.
The money ended up in speculative financial markets and a criminal
investigation is under way.
Hundreds of millions of dollars aimed at the reconstruction of the
Chechen economy also never arrived, he said.
Mr Sokolov said he did not have precise information about what happened
to foreign aid because the government did not release data and the
Chamber of Accounts had not made it the subject of an evaluation.
However, he said much of the foreign aid found its way into Russia's
financial markets. "There needs to be a radical change in the policy of
the IMF and the US government," he said.

Yeltsin Radio Address Reviews Financial Situation

Informatsionnoye Agentstvo Ekho Moskvy

Russian President Boris Yeltsin delivered his traditional address to
the people of Russia on 5 June. The address was broadcast by the Ekho
Moskvy radio at 0900 [0500 GMT].
Here is the full text of the address:
Esteemed people of Russia:
The Russian financial system is being put to a serious test. It has
been possible to make the situation considerably less acute but major work
still lies ahead. Why did the exacerbation of the situation on the
financial market become the focus of the government's attention? Why is
everyone talking and writing about it? Because the development of the
financial crisis might affect the stability of the Russian ruble and,
hence, result in price raises and a higher cost of living which we will not
allow, of course.
The main thing for us now is to protect the Russian ruble, which means
stability of prices. The government and the Central Bank acted clearly and
decisively to this end. In the last few days the shares of leading Russian
companies have fallen. This did not directly affect many ordinary citizens
but in the long run investment in our economy and industry encourages
growth of production and helps to create jobs. Therefore we simply ought
to protect our major companies, which are the main taxpayers, from the
aftermath of the crisis because their financial problems might cause
another delay in the payment of wages to state sector employees and others.
It is necessary to understand the causes of what happened and, above all,
we must be honest and admit that we ourselves are to blame for our
difficulties. The solution of a whole number of problems was in fact
disrupted. The most important of these problems is, of course, the
deficits in the federal, regional, and local budgets. We must all finally
learn to live within our means. We have said more than once that laws,
presidential decrees, and government resolutions must be supported by
funding. If funding is not provided for them, they will not be adopted.
As president, I guarantee this to you.
The government's most important task is to stop incurring debts and to
use the budget rationally. Of course, it is impossible to achieve this
straightaway but we have no alternative. Tax policy should become tough in
the extreme and it is important that everyone knows about that. At a
meeting with the heads of tax departments I said: It is time to stop
asking and persuading. The time has come to demand and punish, including
criminal proceedings.
Under-collected taxes are salaries which people have not received. We
must learn from the West about tough tax discipline. Tax evasion is
regarded as one of the worst crimes there and punishment for it is most
severe. However, by tough measures alone one will not resolve the problem.
An efficient and flexible tax system should be set up which will be
convenient for everyone, the state as well as taxpayers. Such a system
will encourage economic growth, income growth for both enterprises and
private individuals and a curtailment of shadow businesses.
There are other reserves for replenishing the budget -- for example,
increasing revenue from the control of state property, including property
abroad. We often get less from its use than we spend on its upkeep. We
have also begun to reduce drastically expenditure on the state apparatus --
and, what's more, in all the branches of power. Excessive numbers,
extravagance, and duplication of functions are features not only of the
federal authorities but also of agencies of local power. It's time to stop
building luxurious administrative complexes. Take a look, after all as a
rule these are local administration buildings, treasuries, or nonbudgetary
funds of some kind. How can you look people in the eye who have not
received wages, pensions, or child benefits owed them for months after
that?
In a word, all power agencies must finally become zealous managers.
Of course, one of the reasons for the crisis is the lack of experience of
working in conditions of an open economy but this has to be learned and as
quickly as possible. If we do not learn, we shall again see empty shelves
in shops and the words "shortage," "queue," and "ration coupons" will come
back into our lives. We are already fed up to the teeth with this. Entry
into the world economic community provides obvious advantages but also
harbors plenty of dangers. The government, the Central Bank, and other
economic structures, including nonstate ones, should be prepared to
overcome them or, even better, to prevent them occurring altogether. And of
course, in conditions of a market economy, laws should not appear which
drastically change the rules for domestic and foreign investors. If we ask
for long-term investment, then the rules must be stable and guarantees must
exist for many years to come.
Esteemed citizens of Russia! The state exists on taxpayer's money and
you have a right to demand efficient work from the executive, legislative,
and judicial branches of power. But the state has the right to expect from
its citizens a responsible attitude to their obligations as conscientious
taxpayers. Therefore, the combined efforts of everyone without exception
are required -- the authorities, the industrialists, the bankers, and the
ordinary citizens.
Thank you for your attention.

********

Businessmen Urge Support For Government Economic Measures

Informatsionnoye Agentstvo Ekho Moskvy
"Full text" of appeal by senior Russian businessmen in support
of economic measures taken by the government as broadcast by Moscow
Radiostantsiya Ekho Moskvy in Russian

Russia is living through a serious economic crisis caused by a whole
set of objective and subjective reasons. The economic problems which have
accumulated led to a situation in which people are not being paid their
wages. Social tension is increasing. The alienation between various
branches of power and inter-clan fighting in the highest echelons of power
result in increased political tension.
Having met the Russian president [Boris Yeltsin], and the prime
minister [Sergey Kiriyenko], we, the heads of the country's largest
financial and industrial corporations are declaring our support for the
urgent steps which have been taken by the president, the government, and
the Central Bank during the biggest financial crisis of recent years.
The government is now taking tough measures. But they are necessary
and without them it will not be possible to boost the economy.
We support the reorganization of the tax system whereby the pressure
on enterprises and citizens is being eased. At the same time, tougher
steps are being taken against tax dodgers. We are awaiting the beginning
of implementation of a new industrial policy which envisages creating a
more favorable environment for effective enterprises and making loss-making
ones bankrupt.
In this connection we are appealing to our colleagues and heads of
enterprises, irrespective of form of ownership and size. We have been able
to take the responsibility for our business and we should recognize our
responsibility before the country and support the steps outlined by the
government in spite of the risks which are possible in this situation.
We also appeal to those who work at enterprises facing either
bankruptcy procedures or change of ownership. It may be a painful process.
However, the bankruptcy or restructuring of an enterprise does not
necessarily mean that there will be job losses. The creation of an
efficient management system at each enterprise or company is the only way
out of the vicious circle of nonpayments and wage arrears.
We appeal to foreign entrepreneurs. You often hear scary reports that
someone is trying to restrict the activity of foreign capital in Russia.
This is not true. We are for the open market and for fair competition
between Russian and foreign companies. Russia is an immensely rich country
with vast economic potential. Those who are first in securing positions on
the Russian market will undoubtedly win.
We appeal to the members of the government and of the presidential
administration, to the deputies of the Federal Assembly, and to the local
authorities. Now is not a time to indulge in political games. Now, as
never before, Russia badly needs modern legislation. Flaws in our
legislation mean everyday losses amounting to billions of rubles. Only
through constructive cooperation by all branches of power will it be
possible to change the situation.
We are prepared to continue supporting all sensible steps by the
country's leadership and are convinced that such steps will find support in
our entire society, provided that today's promises materialize into
decisive and consistent actions. Today, this is the only way to get the
country out of a period of economic stagnation.
(Signed) President of the Alfa-Group M. Fridman
Chairman of the executive board of the Gazprom joint-stock company R.
Vyakhirev
Chairman of the executive board of the Unified Energy System of Russia
joint-stock company A. Chubays
President of the Interros holding company V. Potanin
President of the LUKoil company V. Alekperov
President of the Media-MOST V. Gusinskiy
President of the Rosprom-YUKOS group M. Khodorkovskiy
President of the Rossiyskiy Kredit bank V. Malkin
Chairman of the board of directors of SBS-AGRO A. Smolenskiy
President of the Surgutneftegaz oil company V. Bogdanov

ANALYSIS-Russian tax collection tough to improve
By Peter Henderson

MOSCOW, June 8 (Reuters) - Russia is a long way from proving it can sharply
improve tax collection despite loud promises to do so, analysts said on
Monday.
The economy's dynamo, the energy sector, has been hurt by falling oil prices,
and the biggest firms cannot be squeezed much more, leaving revenue rises
mostly dependent on improving the tax system and taxpayer attitudes, all of
which takes time.
``Companies don't really have that much cash flow now,'' said United Financial
Group strategist Inna Francis in Moscow. ``They are pretty strapped.''
Real revenue collection appears to be rising over last year, though tangled
and varying accounting practices make it difficult to be sure, and the
government has already begun pressuring tax debtors and has a new programme to
pry for more taxes.
But the new tax chief has said improvement would be incremental while the tax
system unfairly distributed the tax burden on a few major firms.
Francis saw Russian revenues falling some 30 billion roubles ($5 billion)
short of a revised 1998 target of about 290 billion.
``The revenue side is a kind of longer time strategy,'' she said. ``There is
no way they could show results as quickly as they would want.''
Results are difficult to gauge since Russian tax numbers are calculated in a
variety of ways.
Prime-Tass news agency quoted a government source as saying budget revenue
collection in the first five months of the year was 15 percent down on a year
ago at 71 billion roubles.
But Russian Economic Trends economist Rory MacFarquhar said those figures
probably included non-cash operations, known as offsets, which the government
has abandoned this year.
``You have a rise in tax collections, but you have a massive decrease in
offsets, and that is a good thing,'' he said. The future, however, was less
than certain. ``There is a big credibility gap from the past that needs to be
overcome.''
Political will for change has gradually risen to the point where President
Boris Yeltsin joined the International Monetary Fund in calling for fast
action.
The government squeezed natural monopolies, Gazprom, electricity company UES
and the railways ministry, for two billion roubles more than planned in the
last few days of May.
Subsidiaries of Russia's sixth and seventh largest oil producers, SIDANKO and
Sibneft, on Friday were ordered to pay taxes before July 1 or face bankruptcy
and other new sanctions.
New tax service chief Boris Fyodorov has said he would take on big fish
previously ignored and has targeted 1,000 wealthy people as well as major
corporations.
The government has already said it would bankrupt some second-tier companies
which have not paid up.
MacFarquhar said the fastest-acting measures target small groups. ``Sometimes
you are squeezing money that these companies should have and could have paid
long ago, but basically by forcing them to pay in full, you are for the most
part making them pay more than they can sustainably pay.''
He said the government generally collected enough money, especially at the
regional level which has not faced major tax reform, but used it poorly.
``They collect much too much as it is,'' he said.

IMF sees no urgent need for more Russia aid
By Adam Entous

WASHINGTON, June 8 (Reuters) - The International Monetary Fund said on Monday
it saw no need to speed extra aid to Russia, dampening speculation about an
Asian-style international bailout for Moscow's ailing economy.
But IMF First Deputy Managing Director Stanley Fischer said the fund was in
``exploratory'' talks to help Russia if conditions deteriorated further.
The statement cast doubt that a major rescue package -- similar to those put
together for Indonesia, South Korea and Thailand -- would be assembled for
Moscow as top finance officials from the world's leading industrialised
countries gathered in Paris to discuss Russia's economic woes.
``We're...in exploratory discussions on what could happen down the road if
something were needed,'' Fischer told reporters at the end of an IMF
conference in Washington.
But Fischer said market conditions had improved, and insisted that Russia's
ailing economy did not need additional help at this time. ``At the moment, the
market has stabilised and we don't see the need,'' he said.
President Boris Yeltsin and his new government have been battling a major
crisis of confidence among investors sparked by Russia's chaotic finances and
Asia's economic woes.
Financial markets calmed after the Clinton administration announced last week
that the United States was in talks with other Group of Seven (G7) major
industrial nations on providing more financial help to Moscow if needed.
Deputy finance ministers from the G7 were scheduled to meet this week in Paris
to discuss Russia's economic problems, fuelling speculation that the IMF had a
major international rescue package in the works.
But the IMF and a senior U.S. Treasury official sought on Monday to play down
expectations for a bailout.
Deputy U.S. Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers said on Monday that deputy
finance ministers meeting in Paris would not focus solely on Russia's problems
and were unlikely to make any policy announcements.
``Certainly, we'll look at the Russian situation, the situation in Asia, the
situation in all of our economies,'' Summers told reporters at the IMF
conference.
But he added: ``These are informal meetings of deputies -- out of which we
hope we make progress, we hope we have good discussions on a range of issues
-- but not meetings out of which we make policy announcements.''
Fischer said Moscow could count on the IMF releasing the next $670 million
instalment of an existing $9.2 billion credit in mid-June. ``We're looking
somewhere around the middle, or just after the middle, of June,'' he said of
Russia's upcoming loan tranche.
Experts say Russia may soon need billions of dollars in additional aid to back
up low foreign reserves and restructure a crushing domestic loan portfolio.
Fischer said the IMF was open to helping Moscow if needed. ``We're talking
about what could be involved,'' he told reporters, adding: ``We're very remote
from anything concrete.''
But Fischer added: ``The situation could change and we'll have to stay up with
it,'' Fischer said.