June 2, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2203 2204

1. Reuters: Yeltsin to meet Russian businessmen amid crisis.
2. Reuters: Russia's top taxman set to wield axe to raise cash.
3. Rossiiskaya Gazeta: Yeltsin's radio address on the press.
4. Richard Helbig: TO HELL WITH ALL THE SPECULATORS!
5. The Guardian (UK): One man finds himself an island. James Meek
on the post-Soviet decline of the one-time scourge of the Kremlin.
(Solzhenitsyn).

6. Chicago Tribune: Interview with ALEXANDER LEBED.
7. RFE/RL: Paul Goble, Environmental Disasters May Renew Nationalism.
8. InterPress Service: Andrei Ivanov, HEALTH-CIS: Sexually Transmitted
Disease Sweeps Ex-Soviet Union.

9. Itar-Tass: Russian Markets Threatened by Funds in Shadow Economy.
10. Reuters: NATO expansion has gone far enough -Primakov.]

Yeltsin to meet Russian businessmen amid crisis
By Timothy Heritage

MOSCOW, June 2 (Reuters) - President Boris Yeltsin meets influential Russian
industrialists and bankers on Tuesday amid a financial crisis which has
prompted leading world powers to consider putting together an aid package for
Moscow.

Russian shares took another battering on Monday and markets elsewhere in the
world were unsettled by fears over financial problems which could trigger
political stability in Moscow.

But the United States said after the Russian markets closed that it was
working with other Group of Seven (G7) top industrial nations on providing
financial aid, and Prime Minster Sergei Kiriyenko was optimistic.

``The situation on financial markets is under control. There will be no
devaluation: we will maintain the level of the rouble,'' Kiriyenko said in an
interview with the French newspaper Le Figaro for publication on Tuesday.

U.S. State Department spokesman James Rubin also sounded hopeful after
confirming the G7 countries -- the United States, Italy, France, Germany,
Japan, Britain and Canada -- might provide aid in addition to International
Monetary Fund cash.

``The past few days have been difficult for Russia, as well as other emerging
markets,'' Rubin said. ``However, Russia's new policy package, an agreement
with the IMF staff, was the right framework to reassure investors.''

The dose of optimism towards the end of Monday helped lift prices on the world
emerging debt market, in which Russia is an influential player.

Emerging debt traders said sentiment had improved on hopes that an aid package
might be put together for Russia in addition to an existing $9.2 billion IMF
credit, the latest $670 million tranche of which is expected to be released
this month.

Kiriyenko says he is not about to ask for foreign assistance. But stocks
remain under pressure after heavy drops last week which, along with soaring
treasury bill yields, helped force the government to triple interest rates to
150 percent.

The benchmark RTS share index closed down 10.24 percent at 171.71 on Monday,
and has lost 50 percent of its value in the past month. The rouble hit 6.18 to
the dollar from 6.17 on Friday.

Precious metals futures prices fell in New York on fears over Russia, the ex-
Soviet republic of Moldova cancelled a planned Eurobond issue, Estonian shares
fell 12 percent and the Czech crown weakened against the mark.

Yeltsin has backed Kiriyenko to the hilt in the crisis.

The president has demanded that major Russian companies pay their taxes and
help remedy the huge problem of tax evasion which leaves state coffers bare as
the government tries to pay off huge wage arrears and thus stifle any budding
social unrest.

His meeting with six bankers and four industrialists offers him a chance to
hear their ideas on the crisis and to persuade them to do more to help Russia.
Many are accused of getting rich through reforms without putting anything back
into industry.

Alexander Livshits, a former finance minister who advises Yeltsin on the
economy, said the Kremlin meeting would include ``discussion of the current
situation and the mechanism for cooperation between business and the
authorities.''

``It is possible to consolidate power and big business only on the basis of
solving the concrete problems facing the country,'' Interfax news agency
quoted Livshits as saying.

Expected at the meeting are leaders of Rosprom-Yukos, Most Group, Interros,
Alfa Group, SBS-Agro Bank, Rossiisky Kredit Bank, Gazprom natural gas
monopoly, UES electricity company, LUKoil and Surgutneftegaz oil companies,
the agency said.

Some of the bosses attending helped bankroll Yeltsin's re-election in 1996 but
he has criticised them since for trying to exert too much influence in
politics.

Livshits made no suggestion that Yeltsin might seek financial help from the
business leaders at the meeting.

One source of revenue is the auction of a controlling stake in Rosneft, the
last major oil company still in state hands.

Kiriyenko cut the auction starting price on Monday to about $1.6 billion, much
less than the $2.1 billion -- with a further obligation to invest $400 million
in tax arrears and investment -- sought at a first auction at which no bids
were received.

Russia's top taxman set to wield axe to raise cash
By Peter Henderson

MOSCOW, June 1 (Reuters) - Heads rolled in Russia on Monday as a new tax chief
took up the post the economy depends on.

Former Finance Minister Boris Fyodorov returned to the government and began to
figure out how to raise money at home.

"In Russia, nobody believes it can be done. The first priority is personnel
changes," Fyodorov told an investors conference.

He was speaking shortly after he fired his first lot of employees, before he
was even sworn in as head of the Federal Tax Service.

Russia needs to raise domestic revenues to avoid resorting to international
support to cover its short-term financing needs.

The government's borrowing costs have risen sharply in recent weeks, fuelling
rumours of an international bailout.

Fyodorov, a former investment banker, gave no details of those he dismissed on
his first day in the new job. His predecessor Alexander Pochinok was fired by
President Boris Yeltsin last week.

Fyodorov -- who proposes lowering the top tax bracket to 20-25 percent from
around 35 percent now to improve collection rates -- criticised the government
for not pushing a landmark tax code hard enough.

"I know there was definitely a lost opportunity to ram it through the
parliament," he said.

Tax collection is miserably low in Russia despite a high-profile media
campaign, tougher police efforts and the pointed attention of the
International Monetary Fund, which has held up loan payments to Russia over
the issue.

Improved collection is at the top of a list of revenue-raising measures the
government has announced, to wide yawns from foreign investors who want to see
movement and money.

Fyodorov promised action but said little could be done to radically improve
revenues while the tax burden was unequally distributed and the government
responded to shortfalls by shaking down a few top companies.

Companies would continue to hide earnings under punitive conditions. "One can
increase the efficiency of tax collection by brutal force...but it will be
incremental," he said.

He promised no quick and easy solution, while a federal bankruptcy service
official told the same conference that the first sales of assets under a fast-
track bankruptcy procedure just introduced would be in November or December.

Russia needs money faster than that. Central bank and government officials say
it is considering cheap funding from international sources, including banks
and governments, so that it can buy back expensive rouble-denominated debt.

But the government has also denied it is having talks on new loans, which
analysts say are necessary to revive markets which have deteriorated to 1996
levels.

"Some kind of international funding will be a necessary condition, but not a
sufficient one," said Philipp Hildebrand, global strategist at Moore Europe
Research Services, attending the conference organised by the MFK Renaissance
investment group in Moscow.

"The government will need to take the opportunity of a short term reversal of
sentiment to back up with a credible policy platform."

Market rumours are that Russia could tap Western banks or leading
international nations for billions of dollars in a week or so. But Fyodorov
said the credits should come with strings attached.

"Money is very welcome -- we need it," he said. "But that money should be used
for very specific targets."

>From RIA Novosti
Rossiiskaya Gazeta
May 30, 1998
YELTSIN: "I HAVE ALWAYS PROTECTED AND WILL PROTECT FREEDOM OF THE PRESS"
President Boris Yeltsin's Radio Address to the Nation

Dear Russians, Moscow this week was the venue of a
congress of the International Press Institute, which unites
journalists from the most respected mass media the world over.
I took part in the work of that congress. Yesterday, I had a
conversation with the chief executives of the leading
television channels of Russia.
Relations between the authorities and the press have been
one of the main subjects discussed at those meetings.
The mass media is the strongest lever of influencing
public opinion. It is only natural that the state does care
about what kind of influence newspapers, the radio and
television exercise on people.
The majority of today's leading journalists have had a
harsh schooling of ideological censorship. That is why their
reaction is particularly painful when this subject is
discussed. They sometimes even suspect the authorities of the
desire to dictate their will and again begin giving away
commands.
I have said more than once and want to repeat now that I
have always protected and will continue to protect freedom of
mass information. I will facilitate the development of both
government and non-government newspapers, magazines and radio
and television companies. We should and will work with them
only in the form of a dialogue.
* * *
It goes without saying that journalists are not to blame
for our current social and economic difficulties. Nonetheless,
it is important to feel one's responsibility for the precise
and prompt coverage of these problems. People find out what is
happening in the country mostly from newspapers and television
and radio programs. Precisely the mass media often hint their
readers and viewers how to appraise the developments.
It is certainly not difficult to find out what is bad in
our country. When journalists honestly tell about such things,
it would be a sin to reproach them that their stories turn out
to be so sad.
But the principle of freedom of the press does not mean
permissiveness and open cynicism. It does not mean either
disregard for professional ethics or irresponsibility.
I know that newspaper radio and television stations
receive many letters. People are sick and tired of the fact
that everything is being described for them only in the black.
Reports and publications are too often studded with stories of
violence and crimes, catastrophes and accidents.
Such happenings may not be hushed up either in the same
way as the humiliating instances of delays in paying pensions,
the absence of normal housing for servicemen and the shortage
of funds for the maintenance of schools, hospitals and museums.
But is it all that makes up our life? It is true that
unfortunately good news are rather rare today. But there are
some. It is important to remember this and not to forget to
tell one's readers, listeners and viewers about them.
* * *
Opening newspapers and putting our radio and television
sets every morning, we find out what is happening in the
country and in the world. As ever, there are good news and
there are bad news. In a word, the mass media show us life as
it is.
I think that it is our great achievement that we can
openly say and hear the truth as it is without either
embroidery or excision.
I am sure and I will do my best so that it should always
be so.
Thank you.