May 13, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2176

1. Moscow Times: David Johnson, Net List Balances Views on Russia.
(DJ: I like this article about JRL!)

2. AP: Greg Myre, Yeltsin: Relations With U.S. Healthy.
3. Moscow Times editorial: Time to End Posturing on World Stage.
4. Fred Weir on Yeltsin's Internet press conference.
5. MSNBC: Transcript of Yeltsin's Internet Q and A.
6. The Moscow Tribune: John Helmer, THE LEBED THREAT, IN THE MIRROR
OF KRASNOYARSK.

7. RIA Novosti: IT IS ESSENTIAL TO RATIFY THE START-II TREATY AS EARLY
AS POSSIBLE, RUSSIA'S MAJOR EXPERTS BELIEVE.

8. Izvestia: Vyacheslav Nikonov, WHAT'S NEW ABOUT THE NEW GOVERNMENT.
9. RIA Novosti: ACTUAL UNEMPLOYMENT RATE IN RUSSIA TWICE AS HIGH AS
ITS NATURAL LEVEL, CHAIRMAN OF FEDERATION OF INDEPENDENT TRADE UNIONS
OF RUSSIA SAYS.

10. Fred Weir on Russia and India's nuclear tests.
11. Financial Times (UK): Chrystia Freeland, KIRIYENKO: The mockery
turns to approval.]

For more articles from The Moscow Times, check out their website at
www.moscowtimes.ru

Moscow Times
May 13, 1998
Net List Balances Views on Russia
By David McHugh
Staff Writer

David Johnson is the person you go to for the other side of the story.
Since 1996, Johnson has spent hundreds of hours of his free time putting
out an e-mail newsletter called Johnson's Russia List, a broad -- make that
very broad -- spectrum of opinion, journalism and scholarship about the
motherland for 2,300 serious Russia wonks on both sides of the ocean.
Johnson's guiding principle, he explained during an interview last week
in Moscow, is to include a wider range of views to counterbalance what he
sees as simplistic, disrespectful attitudes about Russia among the U.S.
establishment.
"Russia is a very important country, very important to America," said
Johnson who was making his first trip to Russia since 1985. "But my feeling
was that Americans really were not paying attention, and in some respects
had a very limited understanding of Russia."
He started sending out the list during the 1996 presidential race, when
he felt that U.S. news media were exaggerating the threat of a Communist
resurgence. "So I started this as a reaction to the oversimplified coverage
of Russian politics," he said. "And the intention was to provide a more
balanced, broader perspective, a wider range of views."
And so his list includes writing from all over, from big and small and
right and left: The New York Times rubs shoulders with the Hindustan Times;
those on the right, such as historian Richard Pipes, with those on the left,
such as Katrina Vandenheuvel of The Nation; the play-it-straight wire
services with the partisan Pravda.
The list, sent out free of charge, has also attracted contributions from
heavyweights in the field of Russian studies, such as Pipes and Murray
Feshbach, a leading U.S. expert in Russian and Soviet demography.
Occasionally, the participants engage each other in debate, moderated
loosely by Johnson.
Johnson, who holds a master's degree in Soviet studies from Harvard,
describes himself as a liberal Democrat and works as associate director of
research for the Center for Defense Information, a Washington institute that
keeps a critical eye on the U.S. military. After working during the Cold War
years to monitor what he considers the excesses of the U.S. defense
establishment, he wants to help prevent another lapse into poor relations
between the two world powers by making sure Americans are better informed
about Russia.
At first, Johnson wrote his own articles, criticizing, among others, The
New York Times and Pulitzer prize-winning author David Remnick for what he
saw as excessively anti-Communist bias. After the election, however, he
stopped acting as a contributor and now serves as more of an impartial
editor "trying to ensure broad coverage, getting things that weren't in the
mainstream out there."
"I think because I sort of play an editorial role, some of the more
wasteful exchanges that take place on the Internet are prevented," he said.
"A lot of Internet newsletters have a lot of noise, a lot of wasteful,
antagonistic back and forth."
Issues that have drawn heated responses in recent weeks include press
criticism by The Exile, a Moscow-based alternative weekly, and the
deteriorating relations between Latvia and Russia.
Johnson hopes to come back to Russia regularly from now on to soak up the
zeitgeist and meet journalistic contributors such as Fred Weir of the
Hindustan Times, Vanora Bennett of the Los Angeles Times, and David Filipov
of the Boston Globe.
"Just about everybody I had never met," he said. "It was kind of a
breaking of the ice."
To subscribe to Johnson's Russia List, send an e-mail to

Yeltsin: Relations With U.S. Healthy
By Greg Myre
May 12, 1998; 3:41 p.m. EDT

MOSCOW (AP) -- Russia is regaining equal footing in its relationship with
the United States after a period of ``illusions and exaggerated
expectations,'' President Boris Yeltsin said Tuesday.
Yeltsin spoke to senior diplomats at Russia's Foreign Ministry. But his
timing -- days before a meeting with President Clinton and the leaders of
six other industrialized countries in Birmingham, England, -- indicated he
was addressing a wider audience.
``We inherited from the former Soviet Union the status of a ... power
based on a powerful military complex, but with no solid economic
foundation,'' Yeltsin said. ``It is the task of our domestic and foreign
policies to do away with this imbalance.''
Yeltsin said it also was time to do away with domination by a few world
powers and move toward a multipolar world in the 21st century.
While Russia has sought friendly relations with the United States, it
also has sought to strengthen ties with Europe, China, Japan and India to
counterbalance what it perceives as Washington's excessive global clout.
``Equal interaction with the United States is being established after a
period of certain illusions and exaggerated expectations,'' Yeltsin said. He
did not elaborate on what these were.
But, he stressed Russia will not ``roll over'' before the United States.
Instead, Russian diplomats must patiently explain Russia's ``position on
those questions where differences exist in principle in our views,'' Yeltsin
said.
Several points of friction mar an otherwise collegial U.S.-Russian
relationship.
Russians strongly oppose NATO's expansion into Central and Eastern
Europe, and Moscow is eager to do business with Iran and Iraq, two countries
the United States wants to isolate.
In addition, the Russian parliament has refused to ratify the 1993 START
II arms reductions treaty, which would halve the nuclear arsenals in both
countries.
Yeltsin, who endorses the treaty, called it ``one of the priority
questions of Russia's national security.''
He also hailed Russia's expanding role in international affairs,
including Russian mediation that helped resolve recent disputes between Iraq
and United Nations weapons inspectors.
``Russia's opportunities for exerting a positive influence on the world
community have increased in this new environment,'' Yeltsin said.
He discussed nuclear proliferation problems, including the Indian nuclear
test, with Clinton on Tuesday by telephone, the Interfax news agency
reported. The two presidents also talked about the crisis in the Kosovo
region of Yugoslavia.
Clinton repeated Washington's objection to Russian-Iranian cooperation in
nuclear technology and Yeltsin reiterated Russia's contention that such
concerns are ``far-fetched,'' Interfax said.

Moscow Times
May 13, 1998
EDITORIAL: Time to End Posturing on World Stage

President Boris Yeltsin's foreign policy address Tuesday held few
surprises, but it did confirm the defiant trend in Russia's recent relations
with the West.
Breaking with the honeymoon in U.S.-Russian relations in the early years
of reform, the Kremlin has spent the last two years trying to mark out a
territory for Russia outside the U.S. orbit.
While stopping well short of a return to Cold War hostility, Russia is
now increasingly underlining areas where Moscow and Washington see things
differently.
Yeltsin has allowed his foreign minister, Yevgeny Primakov, to lobby
against Washington's proposals for taking action against Iraq in the UN
Security Council and to oppose sanctions against Serbia for its behavior in
Kosovo. Russian officials also do not miss an opportunity to complain about
the decision to expand NATO into Eastern Europe.
For Yeltsin, this is all part of his doctrine of a new "multipolar" world
order, in which he has invited other second-tier powers to stand up to U.S.
world dominance and protect their own national interests. China, France and
Germany are some of the other "poles" Yeltsin is trying to attract but so
far they have shown little enthusiasm.
All this plays well at home, where Russia is nursing wounded nationalist
pride at its diminished status in the world. It is also true that Russia
often has its own very specific interests, which do not always coincide with
those of the United States.
Parading an independent foreign policy may win Russia a few propaganda
successes on the world stage and help Yeltsin prove he is no pushover. In
the short term, Russia may also believe it has a lot to gain and little to
lose by playing devil's advocate. For instance, its sales of sensitive
technology to countries like Iran are highly lucrative. By pushing for an
end to sanctions, Russia is hoping to help Iraq repay $8 billion in debts.
But this defiant mind-set, if taken too far, could also result in missed
opportunities and a backlash.
Russia has been so lost in its self-righteous indignation that it has
done little to develop a new relationship with the expanded NATO. The
pickings may seem easy in Iraq and Iran but instability in the Islamic world
will hurt Russia as badly as anyone.
And the West will eventually grow tired of a Russia that opposes simply
for the sake of opposing and which is an unreliable partner.
If it is to define a new role for itself, Russia should brush the chip
off its shoulder.

********