May 11, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2173  2174

1. Reuters: Tanya Pang, Grey spring in Russian far north.
2. U.S. News and World Report: Christian Caryl, Rapping in Red Square.
Russia's 'abandoned' generation is divided into rappers and skinheads.

3. Reuters: Peter Henderson, Russian reformers line up targets.
4. Sovetskaya Rossiya: Vasiliy Safronchuk, "Cabinet of Tax Farmers.
What Has the Country Obtained as a Result of Yeltsin's Government
Reshuffle -- A Government of Technocrats or a Coalition of Oligarchs?"

5. Reuters: Aleksandrs Rozens, Construction cranes share Moscow skyline
with cupolas.

6. AP: Azerbaijan Agrees on Oil Pipe Route.
7. Pravda: Vadim Gorshenin: "Lebed: Tiraspol, Khasavyurt, Krasnoyarsk.
Next Everywhere?..."
]

********

FEATURE - Grey spring in Russian far north
By Tanya Pang

LOVOZERO, Russia, May 11 (Reuters) - In an Arctic corner of Russia, life has
grown harsher since the Cold War despite new ties with Nordic nations and a
wealth of resources from fish to rare metals and reindeer.

The Lovozero district, which covers a third of the icy Kola peninsula in
northwest Russia, has been hit hard by the collapse of the Soviet Union.
Moscow funding has dried up and the pioneering spirit of the far north has
given way to a feeling of isolation and abandonment.

Revived links to neighbouring Norway and Finland, shut off during 70 years of
communist rule, have so far brought little but disappointment.

The closure of a nearby mine in Revda, producing tantalum and other rare
metals, and a downturn in reindeer farming have further ravished the local
economy.

``Some African countries we used to help are in better economic shape than
ourselves,'' said Nicolai Brylyov, the district's mayor.

Official unemployment is around 7.5 percent but Brylyov said it is probably
closer to 10 percent and likely to double when the Revda plant is finally
declared bankrupt. Four years ago the Revda mine contributed 75 percent of
income to the local budget.

Lack of investment has left the mine uncommercial. The area relies on
agriculture -- reindeer, crops, milk and fur production -- and from handouts
from the Murmansk regional authorities.

``We live here now on donations...We are in a condition of merely existing,''
Brylyov, 53, who arrived in Lovozero from Siberia aged seven, told Reuters.

LIFE EXPECTANCY LOW

Lovozero town, founded in 1575, has a population of 3,700 and is a scattering
of tired-looking concrete buildings 180 km (112 miles) east of Murmansk and
1,350 km north of Moscow. It is the administrative centre for the district.

Nearby Revda is the largest community with 9,700 inhabitants. Three tiny
villages -- Krasnoshelje, Kanezka and Sosnovka -- lie deep in the snow-covered
plains and are reachable only by air.

The district's 14,500 population is a mix of 10 ethnic groups including Sami,
or Lapps, and Komi, as well as Russians, Ukrainians and Belarussians.

Living on Russia's vast Kola plains is harsh. The winters are long and hard
with snow for nine months between September and May when temperatures drop to
an icy minus 40 Celsius (minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit).

Brylyov estimated that 60 to 65 percent of the population has an income below
subsistence level. ``How do they survive? That's a question we all ask. They
borrow, they make do. Everyone tries to help,'' he said.

Life expectancy is just 47 years for men and 48.9 for women. Rates of
alcoholism, depression and violence are high, especially among ethnic
populations, who are striving to regain identities stripped away in more than
70 years of Soviet rule.

A hospital at Revda has been under construction for more than 14 years and
remains unfinished. Much of the equipment due to go there has either
deteriorated or been pilfered.

Medical supplies and transport are in short supply and hospital buildings are
in disrepair. Much of the cement has fallen from between the breeze blocks.

Marina Dubovtseva, a Sami and paediatrician at Lovozero since 1990, said
health in the district was deteriorating with malnutrition at the top of the
list of causes.

``This (malnutrition) is a universal problem in many countries where people
are not paid regularly,'' Dubovtseva said.

Sexual diseases, virus infections in winter and illnesses related to thyroid
problems probably linked to pollution from the Revda mine were also prevalent,
she said.

Offers of help from the outside do little to help. Last year Norway sent
300,000 crowns($40,000) of medical supplies but Russian customs refused to
clear it and it was sent back.

REVIVAL OF COTTAGE INDUSTRY

Boris Yacobovsky, a 61-year-old pensioner who arrived in Lovozero from Ukraine
in 1966, has started selling seeds in Lovozero's tiny market place to pad out
his pension.

The market has just a handful of stalls selling clothing, shoes, Yacobovsky's
seeds and the odd gadget.

``Things are getting more and more difficult, there is very little money to go
round. Unemployment has increased and it will only get worse,'' Yacobovsky
said through an ice-encrusted beard.

``The government should do something to the economy, but the people also need
to help themselves.''

Indigenous people like the Samis are trying to do just that. Lovozero's
cultural centre, helped by funding from Sami communities in Nordic countries,
has set up programmes to revive the Sami and Komi languages and train people
in traditional crafts such as tool making, carving, beading, weaving and
sewing traditional costumes from woven fabrics and reindeer skin.

The programmes are as much to resurrect local culture as to start up cottage
industry.

But one important local industry, reindeer farming, has suffered setbacks and
the district's two reindeer farms are also struggling to survive. Many
processors, making products like sausages, have gone out of business.

In addition, exports to Sweden and Finland were stopped after they joined the
European Union, leaving Russian reindeer farmers mostly reliant on Norway to
sell their meat.

Lovezero's two reindeer farming cooperatives herd 65,000 animals. The Tundra
cooperative, based in Lovozero, employs 300 people and slaughtered 9,600
reindeer in 1997.

Eighty percent, or 200 tonnes, of Tundra's output was sold to Norway last year
but now those revenues are under threat. In February, Norway increased taxes
for Russian reindeer meat almost a thousand-fold to 32 crowns per kg (2.2lb)
from three crowns.

Tundra director Olga Nufrieva said farmers aimed to send their children to
Norway and Finland to learn slaughtering and processing to save the industry.

``Our most precious contacts are the Samis in Finnmark (Norway's reindeer
farmers),'' she said.

HUMILIATING EXPERIENCE

Mayor Brylyov said Lovozero and other areas were looking to foreigners for
investment in the absence of support from distant Moscow.

One such programme, the Barents Cooperation, was set up in 1993 by Denmark,
Norway, Russia, Finland, Iceland, Sweden and the EU Commission to develop
education, trade, business, culture and healthcare.

It also aimed to clean up pollution from out-of-date metal works and the
abandoned nuclear submarines from the former Soviet Union's mighty Northern
Fleet.

Brylyov said such aid had so far proved to be little more than the goodwill
talk of politicians. ``People know how to pronounce good words. The Barents
Cooperation hasn't reached here, nothing has been done,'' he said.

``To ask foreigners for help is humiliating of course. We were once proud that
we could help other countries, but now we have turned into beggars
ourselves.''

Others were more stoic.

``We're not looking for pity. We've been in this situation before and we have
overcome our difficulties. We will do it again but with a friend's help we
will do it a day earlier,'' said Nine Ivanova, head of education at the
mayor's office. ($ - 7.446 Norwegian Crowns)

********