April 120, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2156•  2157

1. Rossiiskaya Gazeta: YELTSIN ADDRESSES NATION. (On new government).
2. Reuters: Russia Heads into Crucial Political Week.
3. Interfax: Russian PM-Designate Thinks Probability Of Approval High.
4. AP: Russia's Kiriyenko Reassures U.S.
5. Jonathan Weiler: Yabloko and progressivism.
6. Jerry Hough: Re: 2154-Rendall/Yabloko.
7. Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Alexander Zhelenin, A NEW PARTY OF NEMTSOV.
8. Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Sergei Dubovsky, THE DECLINE OF GAIDAR-CHUBAIS'
CAPITALISM. It's time to change the right-wing radical economic policy for
a right-wing
centrist one.

9. RIA Novosti: 30TH ANNIVERSARY OF SOVIET INVASION IN CZECHOSLOVAKIA
WILL BE MARKED IN MOSCOW, SAYS SERGEI FILATOV.

10. RFE/RL NEWSLINE: LUZHKOV DISPUTES COMPARISON WITH LEBED and
LEBED RULES OUT PRESIDENTIAL BID IF HE LOSES IN KRASNOYARSK.

11. Paul Goble (RFE/RL): Turkmenistan: Analysis From Washington -- When
Interests

Collide.
12. Boston Globe: David Filipov, Russian is hard to forget in Estonia.
13. Jamestown Foundation Monitor: "MAIN BATTLE LIES AHEAD," YELTSIN SAYS.
14. Nikst: Sarov (ex-Arzamas-16): http://www.sar.nnov.ru/~courier
15. Christian Science Monitor editorial: Boris & Ryu's Deal.]

>From RIA Novosti
Rossiiskaya Gazeta
April 18, 1998
YELTSIN ADDRESSES NATION

President Boris Yeltsin of the Russian Federation addressed
the people of Russia over the radio April 17.
The text of Yeltsin's radio message follows below.

My fellow Russians,
Today I'm leaving for Japan where I'll meet Prime Minister
Ryutaro Hashimoto. This trip, which has been planned a long time
ago, is very important for our two countries.
My departure has coincided with the current government
reshuffle. However, I see no reasons for postponing this visit.
The government continues to discharge its duties, just like it's
supposed to do. All ministries and departments keep operating. And
the formation of a new government is proceeding in strict
conformity with the law and the Russian Constitution.
Such a state of things when one cabinet has resigned and when
another cabinet has not yet been established is usually referred
to as a government crisis. Many developed countries regard this in
a calm manner, without over-dramatizing the situation. This is
because they understand that such a crisis doesn't amount to
disaster. We, too, have no reasons for inciting fears and scaring
people.
True, Russian governments don't resign very often. However,
such a resignation has taken place within the framework of the law
and in line with constitutional provisions. Actually, the
Constitution describes the subsequent actions of all state-power
branches in a clear-cut and concise way.
As I see it, another thing has become clear today -- it's
very dangerous to amend the Constitution during the reform period
because the Constitution is the foundation of nationwide political
stability. It's very hard to amend our Constitution. But, owing to
this factor alone, it's well-nigh impossible to tamper with the

Constitution and to tailor it to time-serving interests.
That's why Russia has been living without coups and upheavals
over the last few years.
The Constitutional Court plays a major role in protecting the
Russian Fundamental Law. The Constitutional Court's verdicts are
seen as mandatory by everyone, the President included.
As you know, the Constitutional Court has made it incumbent
upon me to sign a bill dealing with those specific cultural values
that were acquired by us after the Second World War. I disagree
with that law, which does great damage to the interests of our
country. That law's provisions will prevent Russia from returning
its national property in other countries of the world. We must
prevent this from happening.
Right now, I've been forced to obey this verdict and to sign
the law. This is because I respect the Constitution and because I
respect and observe the Constitutional Court's decisions. However,
the Russian Constitution gives me the right to defend my position
and to submit another inquiry to the Constitutional Court. And I
have already taken advantage of this right.
My fellow Russians,
The readiness to tackle all disputes in strict conformity
with the Russian Fundamental Law constitutes our great
achievement. No matter what opponents may say, and no matter how
they may scare us, but a normal political process is taking place
today.
The current debates and discussions are quite understandable.
You see, the subsequent image of our government is being forged
today. The government's program for overcoming various economic
and social difficulties is also being discussed.
However, all state-power branches must act in line with the
law; they must also respect the Constitution, unfailingly
fulfilling all Constitutional-Court decisions. And this is seen as
the most important thing today.
As a result, no political crises, resignations or elections
will threaten Russian stability and order.

Russia Heads into Crucial Political Week

MOSCOW -- (Reuters) A political crisis that has gripped Russia since
President Boris Yeltsin sacked his government a month ago could be finally
resolved this week or possibly extended indefinitely.
The opposition-dominated Duma must decide whether to approve young
technocrat Sergei Kiriyenko as prime minister or vote itself into oblivion.
The Kremlin chief dismissed the Cabinet of veteran Prime Minister Victor
Chernomyrdin on March 23 and named Kiriyenko, 35, to form a team to pursue
economic reforms more vigorously.
The Duma has twice rejected the former regional banker. Unless it backs
him in a third vote, which must be held by Friday, Yeltsin says he will
dissolve the chamber, plunging the country into an unwanted and costly
early election.
Grigory Yavlinsky, who heads the liberal Yabloko party and opposes
Yeltsin's candidate, suggested that Kiriyenko would almost certainly end up
as prime minister one way or the other.
"This won't be a vote for Kiriyenko," he said on Russian television,
alluding to the president's right to appoint the prime minister if the Duma
is disbanded. "If Yeltsin doesn't change his nominee it will be on the
future of the Duma."
Acting First Deputy Prime Minister Boris Nemtsov, Kiriyenko's mentor,
made a similar point to reporters in Japan.

"The question of Kiriyenko has already been decided," he said at the
end of Yeltsin's weekend summit with Prime Minister Ryutaro Hashimoto. "On
Friday it is the question of the Duma that will be decided, whether it will
carry on working or not."
Yeltsin aides and the understated Kiriyenko seemed quietly confident
that sufficient opposition deputies in the 450-seat chamber would
understood this to give him the necessary 226 votes.
But although such a shift in the Duma was discernible, nothing could be
ruled out in Russian politics.
Asked on Sunday's weekly analytical television program Itogi how he
rated his chances, Kiriyenko said: "I don't rate these as my chances. In my
view, the Duma will be voting after all on the government's action program."
Pressed to say whether he would win the Duma vote, Kiriyenko smiled
patiently and sipped from a cup of tea. "I think there is a sufficiently
high probability that they will approve me," he said.
In a phone-in poll, 16,408 callers to Itogi said they agreed while 8,655
thought he would be rejected and a similar number favored a compromise.
Communist Party chief Gennady Zyuganov told Itogi he was sure his
deputies would not change their minds and would agree at a party meeting on
Thursday to vote against Yeltsin's man. "Kiriyenko's candidacy is not
acceptable," he said.
But at least two senior communists went off on a different tack, arguing
that voters would not easily forgive deputies for precipitating a costly
election.
"There isn't a kopeck in the budget," said Duma speaker Gennady
Seleznyov, a communist, on the Zerkalo television show.
"It means the president gets the right to say to teachers, doctors,
servicemen 'I need a minimum 2 billion rubles ($300 million) from the
budget to fund the Duma election.' What will our electorate say to that?"
Looking beyond the immediate crisis to the ultimate prize in the Russian
power stakes, gruff reserve general Aleksander Lebed said he would bow out
of the race for the presidency if he lost an election for regional governor
next Sunday.
Lebed, a former Security Council chief who helped to get Yeltsin
re-elected in 1996 and is seen as a contender in the mid-2000 presidential
poll, is standing for governor of the vast Siberian region of Krasnoyarsk.
"If I lose, there'd be no point taking part," he told the Obozryevatel
show. "I wouldn't waste my time or nerves."

********

Russian PM-Designate Thinks Probability Of Approval High

MOSCOW, April 20 (Interfax) - Acting Prime Minister Sergei Kiriyenko
believes that the State Duma may approve his nomination as prime minister
in a third voting.
He told an NTV program Saturday night that he had taken calmly the
results of the last Friday's voting in which he won 28 votes less than in
the preceding one, chiefly because the voting was by roll call.
Communist leader *Gennady Zyuganov*, Yabloko party leader Grigory
Yavlinsky and Liberal Democratic Party leader Vladimir Zhirinovsky who took
part in the program did not say that their MPs would vote for Kiriyenko.
Zyuganov wanted him to withdraw his name.

Zhirinovsky said LDPR MPs would vote for Kiriyenko if two or three
party members become ministers.
Yavlinsky said that the president who had provoked the political crisis
had to nominate "a political but nonparty figure carrying sufficient
political weight," not intending to run for presidency in 2000 but capable
of maintaining continuity in the case of a political or economic crisis.

Russia's Kiriyenko Reassures U.S
By Vladimir Isachenkov
April 20, 1998

MOSCOW (AP) -- President Boris Yeltsin's nominee for prime minister told a
senior U.S. official today that Russia's political turmoil would not hamper
Russia's free-market reforms.
``Our course for the continuation of reforms remains unchanged,'' Sergei
Kiriyenko told Strobe Talbott, the visiting deputy secretary of state.
Kiriyenko, 35, has been rejected twice in the past two weeks by the
State Duma, parliament's lower house. But he remained optimistic about his
chances to be confirmed in the third and final vote this week.
``The probability of endorsement is quite high,'' Kiriyenko told
Russia's NTV network on Sunday.
The constitution gives Yeltsin the power to dissolve parliament and call
new elections if lawmakers fail to confirm his candidate in three votes.
The Communists, the largest bloc in the Duma, have led the opposition to
Kiriyenko, citing his youth and government inexperience.
Despite that, Gennady Seleznyov, a Communist who is speaker of the Duma,
has called on lawmakers to accept Yeltsin's choice to save the parliament.
Another prominent hard-liner, Nikolai Kharitonov, the leader of the
Communist-allied Agrarian faction, echoed Seleznyov's call today.
``Common sense tells us that we should preserve'' the parliament, the
ITAR-Tass news agency quoted Kharitonov as saying.
But Communist leader Gennady Zyuganov reiterated Sunday that his party
would oppose Yeltsin's nominee and said the Duma should begin preparing for
new elections.
Hard-line Communist Viktor Ilyukhin said today that more than 30
lawmakers had sent a letter to the prosecutor's office demanding criminal
proceedings against Yeltsin, which could lead to impeachment.
Ilyukhin accused Yeltsin of ``deliberate extermination of the Russian
people'' through his reforms.
Hard-liners long have called for removing Yeltsin from office, with no
result. But lawmakers might be tempted to consider pursuing impeachment
this time as a tactical move: Under Russian law, Yeltsin cannot disband the
Duma if it has launched impeachment proceedings against him.
The latest political turmoil began March 23, when Yeltsin dismissed the
government of former Prime Minister Viktor Chernomyrdin and accused the
Cabinet of moving too slowly with reforms.
At a meeting with Talbott today, Kiriyenko said the new Cabinet -- if he
is approved -- would ensure the implementation of accords reached between
Vice President Al Gore and Chernomyrdin, the Interfax news agency reported.
Kiriyenko and Talbott also discussed Yeltsin's meeting with President
Clinton scheduled to take place next month when both leaders attend the
summit of leading industrialized nations in Birmingham, England.

********