April 7, 1998
This Date's Issues: 21372138

1. Fred Weir on round-table talks in Moscow.
2. RFE/RL: Kremlin Says Lawmakers Did Not Openly Oppose Kiriyenko.
3. John Helmer (RFE/RL): Russia: IMF Wants Public-Sector Job Cuts.
4. Reuters: U.S. NATO envoy says enlargement may aid Russia.
5. Nezavisimaya Gazeta: ECONOMIC GROWTH BEGAN EVEN BEFORE 1997 -
CHERNOMYRDIN. Ex-premier about the achievements of his government.

6. RIA Novosti: ST. PETE EX-MAYOR RECOVERING, CLAIMS INNOCENCE,
TO RUN FOR DUMA. (Sobchak).

7. Jamestown Foundation Monitor: ACTING PRIME MINISTER PUSHES FOR MILITARY
REFORM.

8. The Independent (UK): Phil Reeves, Lethal legacy. Incredibly, 12 years
after the worstnuclear disaster in history, Chernobyl remains a deadly threat, with
cracks and holes in the sarcophagus around the reactor prompting real fears of another catastrophe.

9. Reuters: Viacom to launch MTV music network in Russia.
10. Reuters: Russian spring crop sowing held up by cold, snow.
11. RIA Novosti: MOONSHINE MAKES UP HALF OF RUSSIAN LIQUOR, WARNS EXPERT.]

*********