March 25, 1998
This Date's Issues:    2117  • 2118

My birthday.
1. Rossiiskaya Gazeta: YELTSIN DISMISSES GOVERNMENT, REAFFIRMS.
COMMITMENT TO REFORM. PRESIDENT YELTSIN'S ADDRESS.

2. Reuters: Russia shakeup-for greater good or cash and power?
3. Jerry Hough: broader meaning in Yeltsin's action.
4. Matt Bivens: some more comments on eXile, in light of the
Cabinet sackings.

5. Moscow Times: David McHugh, Duma Likely to Accept Premier.
6. Financial Times (UK): Berezovsky: Tycoon aims to pull Kremlin
strings.

7. The Times (UK): Richard Beeston, Troika of Kremlin insiders
plotted the downfall of Yeltsin's Cabinet.

8. Sydney Morning Herald: Neela Banerjee, Russians stunned by
Yeltsin sackings.

9. The Moscow Tribune: John Helmer, YELSTIN AND IVAN--A TERRIBLE
PRECEDENT.

10. Reuters: U.S.-Russia military ties on track - Cohen.]

>From RIA Novosti
Rossiiskaya Gazeta
March 24, 1998
YELTSIN DISMISSES GOVERNMENT, REAFFIRMS COMMITMENT TO REFORM
PRESIDENT YELTSIN'S ADDRESS

Dear fellow-countrymen, I have signed today a decree
dismissing the Government. Viktor Stepanovich Chernomyrdin is
going too. It's always hard to part with old associates. We
have worked together for more than five years. Viktor
Stepanovich has done a great deal for this country. I value him
for his soundness and reliability. I have never doubted his
loyalty and commitment to the cause of reform and his honesty.
The 2000 elections are of great importance for us. They are, so
to speak, the future of Russia. I have instructed Chernomyrdin
to concentrate on political preparations for these elections.
Dear Russians, the resignation of the Government does not
mean change in the line of our policy. It is rather the desire
to make economic reforms more dynamic and effective, to give
them an additional push, a new impetus. The renewal of power is
a natural process. There are no unchangeable governments. The
present Cabinet of Ministers on the whole has accomplished the
tasks assigned to it, but, unfortunately, it has failed to cope
with a number of key issues. True, we have made some progress
in the economy, but we are still lagging far behind in the
social sphere: people have not yet felt that things are
changing for the better. I think that lately the Government has
clearly been lacking in dynamism, initiative, new concepts and
fresh approaches and ideas. And without this it is impossible
to make a breakthrough in the economy.
In short, this country needs a new team, capable of
achieving real, tangible results. I think Members of the
Cabinet should focus more on concrete economic and social
problems and engage less in political activity. For some time
before a new prime minister is appointed I shall act for him.
I shall announce my candidate for this post shortly. I am
convinced the deputies share my position. The Government must
work more resolutely and energetically. I hope they will
support my candidate.
Dear Russians, I count very much on your understanding
and support. Very soon this country will have a new, strong
Government.
Thank you.

Russia shakeup-for greater good or cash and power?
By Peter Henderson

MOSCOW, March 24 (Reuters) - President Boris Yeltsin said he fired Russia's
cabinet to improve the lot of the average man, but analysts asked on Tuesday
if tycoons might benefit most from the change.
Yeltsin's sudden decision has been lauded for ending speculation that he was
not in control of the government, but some insiders say a businessman toppled
the prime minister for approving the wrong conditions of a major oil company
auction.
Speculation that Russian tycoon Boris Berezovsky was behind the government
sacking raised the question of whether reforms would steamroller ahead or
whether "crony capitalism" and backroom dealing had resurfaced to cloud
Russia's future.
Former First Deputy Prime Minister Anatoly Chubais, who has crossed swords
with Berezovsky in the past, told journalists late on Monday that the tycoon,
a former senior Kremlin official, had dealt prime minister Viktor Chernomyrdin
the final blow.
"(Yeltsin) was not ready for a decision. He thought that there were still a
couple of weeks," Chubais said, with a nationwide protest expected on April 9.
Asked if Berezovsky convinced Yeltsin to make his move, Chubais replied, "Yes.
Yes."
U.S. billionaire George Soros said earlier this month that Russian
businessmen, known as "the oligarchy," were still fighting over state assets
for sale, though regulators were moving to stop the wrangle.
Analysts said it would be clear in the coming weeks whether the new
government
was for the good of the many or the few.
Russia opened bidding on Tuesday for the Rosneft oil group -- the last major
oil stake in state hands -- and will decide early next month who should lead
national electric company UES <EESR.RTS>, whose reform is crucial to Russia's
economic health.
Pavel Teplukhin, chief economist at Troika Dialog investment bank in Moscow,
said Berezovsky wanted a slim majority of the stake sold. This compares with
the 75 percent demanded by other businessmen such as Vladimir Potanin, head of
the Unexim financial industrial group which was seen an ally of Chubais.
"If the rules change...as Berezovsky wanted, I would start to worry,"
Teplukhin said.
Chubais said on Monday he would consider taking a position at UES, which
Berezovsky opposes. This marks another test for the government, which has
recommended Chubais.
"The real thing is whether the integrity of Yeltsin's political will is
intact," said Christopher Granville, director of research at United City Bank
in Moscow.
The fight for a new prime minister, replacing Chernomyrdin after a five-year
tenure, may also yield glimpses of horse-trading as the Duma lower house of
parliament uses its right to approve the premier.
"The communist-dominated Duma is going to milk the situation -- weeks and
weeks they'll drag it out, exacting concessions, taking it to the brink,"
Granville said.
The fight may show the political colours of acting Prime Minister Sergei
Kiriyenko, 35, if he is nominated.
Kiriyenko could find himself wooed by gas monopoly Gazprom <GAZPq.L>,
Chernomyrdin's major supporter.
Teplukhin said Kiriyenko, new to politics, had also managed to make ties in
his previous job as Energy Minister.
Berezovsky is believed to control Sibneft<NYGS.RTS> oil group, which merged
with YUKOS <YUKO.RTS> to form Russia's number one producer, YUKSI, with
Kiriyenko's support.
"Who won out of YUKSI?" Teplukhin asked. "Berezovsky."

********