March 4, 1998
This Date's Issues:    2091  • 2092

I want to thank those recipients who have provided support to
JRL recently. Due to my efforts to try to reduce the amount of
time I spend on this enterprise I have been negligent in providing
individual responses.
At the Center for Defense Information I am currently working
on an upcoming episode of our television series "America's Defense
Monitor" that will examine the U.S. impact on Russia (primarily
since 1991) and evolving Russian perceptions of the U.S.. We will
be doing a number of interviews in the Washington area. If anyone
has advice or suggestions about this program please contact me.
Happy to see anyone else who wants to say hello.
1. Interfax: New Russian Security Chief: Long Term Security Policy
Needed.

2. Jamestown Foundation Monitor: WHO ARE THE MIDDLE CLASS?
3. Val Samonis: On Hanke on Ruble.
4. Jonathan Mueller: Re JRL 2087 -- Stephen Hanke -- Is the Ruble Next?
5. Moscow Times: Valeria Korchagina, Report Warns of Drugs Threat to Russia.
6. Moscow Times: David McHugh, Feminist Slams Male Stereotypes.
7. USIA: PICKERING ON CENTRAL ASIA, CAUCASUS, CASPIAN REGION.
8. Interfax: Soros To Invest Over $100 Mln In Charitable Programs For
Russia.

9. Interfax: Yeltsin Aide Favors Changes to Electoral System.
10. NTV: Yeltsin, Chernomyrdin, Others Accused of Lavish Living.
11. MSNBC: Alexei Arbatov, Bad for Russia, bad for the world. When it
comes to U.S.-Russia relations, the risks of NATO expansion far outweigh
the rewards.

12. WP: Alton Frye, Precursor to NATO Enlargement.
13. Reuters: U.S. Surprised by Removal of Russian Atomic Chief.
14. RFE/RL: YELTSIN APPOINTS NEW ATOMIC ENERGY MINISTER.]

New Russian Security Chief: Long Term Security Policy Needed

MOSCOW, March 4 (Interfax) - One of his priority goals is to develop a
long-term national security policy, Andrei Kokoshin, the new Russian
Security Council secretary, told NTV television Tuesday.
"The state or national security is becoming an increasingly clear and
compact notion," he said.
In this spirit, the Security Council, Defense Council and State Military
Inspectorate are merging, Kokoshin said.
"There is more to the merger than the closure of old institutions, for
this will be a synthesis of their functions," he said.
He is currently trying to define more precisely the list of the most
urgent matters to deal with so as not to interrupt the activities set in
motion by the Defense Council and the State Military Inspectorate.
"The previous goals remain. Military reform will continue. It received
an impetus last year thanks to the Defense Council, above all the military
development commission headed by Russian Prime Minister *Viktor
Chernomyrdin*," Kokoshin said.
The Security Council will continue to strive for a Chechen settlement, a
long-term problem painful to the entire society, he said.
"It would be erroneous to think that former Security Council Secretary
Ivan Rybkin worked only on the Chechen settlement. ... This work was simply
more noticeable, more newsworthy than the others," Kokoshin explained.
Rybkin was appointed deputy prime minister in charge of CIS affairs
because "it was necessary to appoint an experienced man, well-versed in
negotiations to a position where these qualities are required," he said.

Jamestown Foundation Monitor

WHO ARE THE MIDDLE CLASS? Last Friday in his weekly radio address, President
Boris Yeltsin lauded the emergence of a middle class in Russia, noting that
16 million people had traveled abroad in 1997 and that Russia's 850,000
small businesses employ about 10 percent of the work force. (Russian and
Western agencies, February 27)

However, examination of reported income data suggests that the notion of a
Russian middle class is more a psychological than an economic reality. A
poll conducted by Validata for the US Information Agency asked respondents
to define what they understood by a middle class income. Responses ranged
from $200 to $10,000 a month, yet average reported per capita income in
January was a mere 916 rubles ($160). Only 19 percent of the population have
a family income of $170 to $300 a month, and a mere 1 percent of families
take in more than $700 a month. With consumer durables priced at or above
world market levels, it seems clear that a middle class lifestyle in Russia
is enjoyed only by a privileged minority. (Segodnya, February 28, Russky
telegraf, February 27)