February 17, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2065  2066

1. Voice of America: Peter Heinlein, YELTSIN SPEECH PREVIEW.
2. Jerry Hough: Re 2064-Goble/Iraq.
3. Karina Wood: NATO expansion & Russian nuclear weapons policy.
4. RFE/RL NEWSLINE: BABURIN URGES COMMUNISTS TO ALTER STRATEGY
and DEFENSE INDUSTRY IN STEEP DECLINE.

5. Reuters: Yeltsin Rules Out Immediate Government Changes.
6. Reuters: Olympics: Russia Struggles to Stay Sporting Superpower.
7. Los Angeles Times editorial: Russia's Risky Strategy.
8. Chicago Tribune editorial: SHEVARDNADZE'S ENEMIES ARE MANY.
9. Jerusalem Post editorial: Respecting Russia.
10. Newsweek: Russell Watson and Bill Powell,Yeltsin's War Games.
As diplomacy ebbs, an American air war against Iraq draws closer.
But whose side is Moscow on?

11. Reuters: IMF all ears as Yeltsin to address nation.
12. Interfax: Duma Commission Recommends Gov't Stop Privatization
of Strategic Firms.

13. Tony Weselowsky (RFE/RL): Russia: Idle Workers Plague Industry.]

Voice of America
DATE=2/16/98
TITLE=YELTSIN SPEECH PREVIEW
BYLINE=PETER HEINLEIN
DATELINE=MOSCOW

INTRO: RUSSIAN PRESIDENT BORIS YELTSIN IS MAKING FINAL
PREPARATIONS FOR HIS ANNUAL STATE OF THE NATION ADDRESS TO
PARLIAMENT (EDS: TUESDAY -- 8 HRS UTC). VOA MOSCOW CORRESPONDENT
PETER HEINLEIN REPORTS THE SPEECH WILL BE CLOSELY WATCHED FOR
SIGNS WHETHER MR. YELTSIN CHOOSES TO PUSH AHEAD WITH ECONOMIC
REFORM, OR COMPROMISE WITH COMMUNIST AND HARDLINE OPPONENTS.

TEXT: THE RUSSIAN LEADER HAS SPENT DAYS WORKING ON HIS SPEECH.
DURING A BRIEF PHOTO SESSION MONDAY, HE TEASED REPORTERS WHO
ASKED FOR CLUES ABOUT ITS CONTENTS.

///YELTSIN ACT IN RUSSIAN -- UP, THEN FADE TO...///

HE SAID "THERE ARE SOME NEW AND INTERESTING THINGS."

BUT WHEN A REPORTER ASKED WHETHER HE MIGHT ANNOUNCE A MUCH-
RUMORED CABINET RESHUFFLE, MR. YELTSIN SAID "NO".

///SECOND YELTSIN ACT IN RUSSIAN -- UP, THEN FADE TO...///

IT WILL BE "WITH ANALYSIS, BUT WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES". HE EARLIER
SAID HIS OFTEN CRITICIZED ECONOMIC REFORM TEAM WOULD STAY IN
PLACE UNTIL THE END OF HIS TERM.

///OPT/// LAST YEAR, THE STATE OF THE NATION ADDRESS MARKED MR.
YELTSIN'S RETURN TO PUBLIC LIFE AFTER MONTHS OF ILLNESS. HE MADE
A FORCEFUL SPEECH, PUTTING TO REST REPORTS HE WAS TOO SICK TO
GOVERN.

THIS YEAR, HE IS AGAIN STRUGGLING. HIS UNSTEADY PERFORMANCE
DURING A VISIT TO ITALY LAST WEEK LEFT MANY COMMENTATORS
WONDERING ABOUT HIS FITNESS. ///END OPT///

HIS 30-MINUTE ADDRESS IS EXPECTED TO FOCUS ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY ON
ECONOMIC ISSUES. IT COMES AS INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND DIRECTOR
MICHEL CAMDESSUS ARRIVES IN MOSCOW FOR WHAT ARE EXPECTED TO BE
TOUGH TALKS ON RUSSIA'S PERFORMANCE UNDER A 10-BILLION DOLLAR
LOAN AGREEMENT.

MR. CAMDESSUS WAS QUOTED LAST WEEK AS SAYING HIS LENDING AGENCY
IS LOOKING FOR EVIDENCE RUSSIA HAS NOT LOST MOMENTUM IN ITS
REFORM DRIVE.

///OPT/// RUSSIAN TELEVISION ANALYST IRINA KOBRINSKAYA SAYS MR.
YELTSIN MUST PUSH AHEAD WITH ECONOMIC REFORM NOW. (D- BECAUSE IT
WILL SOON BE TOO LATE. )

///KOBRINSKAYA ACT///

BECAUSE AS EVERYONE UNDERSTANDS, THIS IS THE LAST YEAR
IN FACT THAT GIVES A CHANCE TO IMPROVE THE SITUATION
SIGNIFICANTLY, BECAUSE NEXT YEAR AND THE YEAR 2000 WILL
BE COMPLETELY DEDICATED TO POLITICS.

///END ACT///

DESPITE THIS "LAST CHANCE" SCENARIO, //END OPT// MANY OBSERVERS
BELIEVE MR. YELTSIN WILL EASE UP ON REFORMS TO MAKE PEACE WITH
COMMUNISTS AND HARDLINERS WHO DOMINATE THE LOWER HOUSE OF
PARLIAMENT.

ANALYST ANDREI RYABOV OF THE GORBACHEV FOUNDATION SAYS MR.
YELTSIN MUST COMPROMISE TO WIN LEGISLATIVE APPROVAL ON IMPORTANT
ISSUES, SUCH AS THE "START TWO" ARMS CONTROL TREATY AND A REVISED
TAX CODE.

///RYABOV ACT///

IN THE LAST (FEW) DAYS, THESE DIFFERENT POLITICAL FORCES
MAKE A LITTLE COMPROMISE AROUND THE TEXT OF THE MESSAGE,
AND SO IT WILL BE NOT VERY INTERESTING IDEAS IN THIS
MESSAGE. I THINK THAT THE PRESIDENT WILL REPEAT THE
IDEAS WHICH HE SAID IN 1996 AND 1994.

///END ACT///

REGARDLESS OF WHAT PATH MR. YELTSIN CHOOSES, MOST RUSSIANS SAY
IT WILL MAKE LITTLE OR NO DIFFERENCE IN THEIR LIVES.
THIRTY-YEAR OLD ALEXANDER GORSHKOV SAID THE ONLY IMPORTANT ISSUE
IS WHETHER PEOPLE GET PAID.

///GORSHKOV ACT IN RUSSIAN -- UP, THEN FADE TO...///

HE SAID "I DON'T SEE THIS ECONOMIC GROWTH. SOME PLACES, OLD
PEOPLE ARE NOT PAID, SOME PEOPLE IN THE COUNTRY DON'T GET THEIR
SALARIES FOR A YEAR AND A HALF."

MOST PEOPLE SEEM TO AGREE WITH MR. GORSHKOV. A SURVEY RELEASED
LAST WEEK BY THE RESPECTED "PUBLIC OPINION FOUNDATION" SHOWED THE
ECONOMIC ISSUES ON RUSSIANS' MINDS ARE SALARY AND PENSION
PAYMENTS, IMPROVING THE QUALITY OF LIFE, AND NARROWING THE GAP
BETWEEN RICH AND POOR.