December 31, 1997
This Date's Issues: 1454

A personal note at the end of the year. Very few of you
know me other than through the impersonal email connection.
I have on rare occasion alluded to events on my non-JRL
life which, contrary to appearance, does exist. There is a
major event about to take place. My wife--Lisa--and I are
separating, amicably. Ironically, one consequence of this may
be a less monomaniacal approach to the Russia List as I adjust
to my new circumstances. I thought I would share this with you.
Happy New Year!
1. Fred Weir in Moscow on Yeltsin's end of year remarks.
2. Jay Ulfelder: Re: Yeltsin's end-of-year address.
3. Boston Globe: David Filipov, Russians' TV taste turns to
the raw.

4. Michael Intriligator: Gorbachev Foundation Boston conference
on economics of globalization.

5. Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Yekaterina Tesemnikova, CONTRARY TO HOPES.
Seventy-Five Years Ago the Soviet Union Was Founded.

6. RFE/RL NEWSLINE: ZYUGANOV PREDICTS IMMINENT OUSTER OF CHUBAIS,
LUZHKOV SAYS DEPENDENCE ON IMF IS 'NATIONAL DISGRACE, BEREZOVSKII
ASSAILS 'BOLSHEVIK' MENTALITY OF CHUBAIS, and CHUBAIS RETURNS FIRE.

7. The Independent (UK): Phil Reeves, Russians on red alert as
rouble is reinvented.

8. Reuters: Chubais promises better year for Russia ahead.
9. Boris Nemtsov on peoples' capitalism. (From December 25 press
conference).

10. Reuters: Facts on redeonomination of Russian rouble.
11. VOA's Frank Ronalds on state of Russian economy.
12. RIA Novosti: AS PUBLIC OPINION POLLS SHOW, 80% OF RUSSIAN
CITIZENS REJECT A RETURN TO THE COMMUNIST PAST, ACADEMICIAN
GENNADY OSIPOV SAYS.

13. RIA Novosti: OUTGOING YEAR WAS VERY IMPORTANT FOR RUSSIAN
FOREIGN POLICY -- BORIS YELTSIN.]