December 29, 1997
This Date's Issues: 1452

1. Interfax: Gorbachev: Russia Is On Threshold Of Changes.
2. Rossiiskiye Vesti: YELTSIN'S RADIO ADDRESS.
3. Dev Murarka: Filatov.
4. The Times (UK): Mark Franchetti, Adopt an orphan, Russian army told.
5. St. Petersburg Times editorial: For Premier, 5 Years Too Many.
6. RIA Novosti: THE USA IS THE LEADER AMONG FOREIGN
INVESTORS INTO THE RUSSIAN ECONOMY.

7. Rossiiskiye Vesti: BORIS YELTSIN ON LAND-REFORM ISSUES.
8. The Times (UK): Richard Beeston, Yeltsin women take share of
power in the Kremlin.

9. RIA Novosti: ZYUGANOV SEES 1997 AS ONE OF THE MOST DIFFICULT
AND CONTROVERSIAL YEARS.

10. Interfax: Chubais: Govt Doing Its Best To Pay Out Wage Arrears.
11. RIA Novosti: SIMPLE PRECAUTIONS WILL HELP AVOID BUYING
FAKED DRINKS ON NEW YEAR EVE.

12. Rossiiskaya Gazeta: THE POOR HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE
CALLED POOR. (Poverty in Russia).]

********

Gorbachev: Russia Is On Threshold Of Changes

MOSCOW, Dec 29 (Interfax) - Russia is on the threshold of significant
changes, Ex-Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev said in an interview
broadcast live by Russian's NTV broadcasting company Monday evening.
Democratic changes will continue in Russia in 1998 unless an upheaval
occurs and authoritarian rule is imposed, he said.
Gorbachev essentially supported the Russian president's steps aimed at
achieving an accord in the country and said that the latest roundtable
discussion among branches of power and political groups may serve this goal.
"The president feels, however, that something is going wrong, even with
a new young team," he said. Back wages are being paid only by taking on
more foreign and domestic debt, Gorbachev said.
He was very critical of what Russian First Deputy Prime Minister
*Anatoly Chubais* was doing.
"I don't think Chubais' policy on which the president relies will save
us," Gorbachev said.
A new wave of privatization without a revival of the economy, the
creation and development of the domestic market or solvent demand will not
do much good, he said.
Chubais is as ruthless as Gaidar before him was, Gorbachev said. "He is
prepared to destroy one half of industry and deprive half of the country's
workers of their jobs to achieve his goals. The trouble is that the
president supports him, so the problem is in the president," he said.
Gorbachev said he did not plan at the moment to run in the 2000
presidential elections. He is working on two projects, one being on the
fate of economies and states in the era of globalization. The other is the
formation of a political force that could carry out a new economic and
political program of the kind that are in existence or being drafted now,
he said.
Gorbachev said that the new presidential elections will be won by former
Russian Security Council Secretary Alexander Lebed, Moscow Mayor Yuri
Luzhkov or Yabloko party leader Grigory Yavlinsky.
He took a positive view of Lebed, who could win the elections if he
recruited a good team.
It was not easy for him to star in a Pizza Hut commercial, Gorbachev
said. That event did not change his political views. He said he wanted to
use the fee to improve the finances of his Gorbachev Fund.
The actual amount to be paid for his part in the ad might be many times
the $150,000 mentioned by the media, Gorbachev hinted.
Gorbachev said on New Year's Eve he will attend The Nutcracker at the
Bolshoi Theater before going with his family to their dacha.

********

>From RIA Novosti
Rossiiskiye Vesti
December 27, 1997
YELTSIN'S RADIO ADDRESS
On December 26, 1997

Dear Russians!
My today's radio address to the nation is the last this
year. So, it is a summary of a kind.
All the year life itself prompted the need to talk of
concrete problems: preparations for the winter and the
situation in agriculture, military and pension reforms, the
training of managerial personnel and education, the health of
our children, wages to public-sector employees. In a word, I
have time and again turned to those problems which were our
daily concerns.
Almost all of them have been one way or another linked to
the state of our economy.
It is obvious to most of us today that there have been
very few noticeable successes. The every-day life of many of
our people remains very difficult. People justly complain that
the pace of transformation is too slow. This is yet to become
the subject of a special conversation. We will certainly
correct our mistakes and draw all the necessary conclusions.
Today, I would like to talk of something else which our
daily routines have not allowed me to broach on. I mean
spiritual values and civil responsibility, how we are to live
in a new, very pragmatic world, and what generation is being
formed in front our own eyes.
In the outgoing year the main efforts were concentrated on
the most important area--the economic reform. It was believed
that if people have a comfortable and well-to-do life,
everything else will be solved automatically, as is meant by
the principle "being determines consciousness". It means that
we are still in the thrall of economic materialism, in keeping
with which material production is the foundation of everything
else, that is, the basis in the Marxian terminology. We have
already started to forget these terms, but have not ceased
thinking in keeping with those patterns and rules.
We have not gone any further than changing party slogans
for macroeconomic ones. Instead of "Go ahead and build
Dneproges and Magnitka!" we shouted first "Privatisation at any
cost!" and some time later "Let us force the dollar into the
currency corridor!", thinking that all the rest can wait.
Judging by everything, the habit of believing in
ideological dogmas is still deeply implanted in everyone of us.
We are strongly tempted to make the market our new idol. We
almost show no interest in what is happening in public
consciousness, in the hearts and fates of people. We have gone
from one extreme to another and forgotten about those things
which probably have a stronger influence on the economy than
any investments.
Fortunately, we have not forgotten about them completely.
I have called upon the Russians to make this year a year
of accord and reconciliation. I personally have been firmly
working to this end, even if I had to change myself and seek
agreement with what used to be an "irreconcilable" opposition.
The first reaction to my initiative was sceptical. Quite a
few regarded it as just another slogan. However, the calls for
struggle, for crushing and overthrowing everything have grown
noticeably quieter. They do not meet with massive support.
Confrontation has been replaced with a dialogue, a calm
talk about the details and tactics of reforms. Differences are
no longer settled in the street; they are settled at the
negotiating table. It is now a dispute between those who can
work, not political fanatics. It is evidence of accord, which
is an achievement per se.
However, having liberalised the market, we have failed to
take into consideration many things. We have set the
legislative framework of the market but have forgotten about
moral laws, about such a simple thing as the ethics of private
enterprise.
The link between commercial success and social
responsibility, the fact that such a success obliges is very
little realised in our country. Very few of those who make
money care about the social problems of their employees, create
new jobs and take part in charity measures.
This is why the image conveyed by Russian businessmen is
so unattractive to our people and does not arouse much trust.
Those who have not found their place in the new life yet flatly
reject it. Unless the businessman becomes the real hero of our
times, we will be unable to create a prospering great power.
Businessmen for their part ought to clearly realise that
they are a whole new class, the bulwark and motor of society.
The ultimate goal of what they do is not only their personal
success but common benefit. Otherwise, stories about New
Russians will continue to be told in Russia for a long time to
come. In industrialised countries the social responsibility of
well-to-do people has been regarded as an axiom a long time
now. That is why patronage of the arts, charity and concern
about the poor are valued so highly in those countries. Our
successful businessmen continue to egoistically bathe in their
personal good luck, teasing the majority of their countrymen.
For many decades we used to walk in crowds and march. Now
that we have given up the idea of collectivism, we have almost
lost the spirit of comradeship. We have to learn it, to share
common concerns practically anew, as if we have to learn
walking again, because, otherwise, we will not be able to reach
our goal.
Something else is also of great importance in our searches
for accord--respect for law. It is only natural that it cannot
become a fact of life overnight. Our habitual permissiveness of
the arbitrariness of the powers-that-be makes it hard to
understand. This is all the more so as we still have too many
questions concerning the laws themselves.
We need the parliament and the government coordinate their
efforts, and the courts, militia and prosecutor's offices work
well. Until this is done, our people will never see that only
the force of law makes society stable and life secure.
Hence tax evasion, financial machinations and shadow
economy. It is true that such things happen in all the
countries of the world. But there they are only an exception
from the rule, unlike our country, where they are sooner the
rule.
In a tough struggle for daily bread we have grown more
indifferent towards one another, have almost got used to other
people's troubles and grievances and are almost not bothered by
them. What is more, we no longer see the older generation as
the bearer of priceless experience, the necessary link for the
continuation of traditions and a link between the times.
You must have noticed that most of the time I speak in the
plural form of the first person. This is not only because I
bear the responsibility for all that is happening in our
country. Having lived a rather long life, I am perfectly
capable of appraising what our new generation thinks very
little about either because they are very young yet or because
many of the family traditions which cemented our society for
centuries have been lost.
I was lucky in life: I have a big and closely-knot family.
My family always helped me and supports me today in the most
difficult times of trial. That is why I can repeat once again
that we must pay more attention to the family values and
protect and defend them. We must give the young confidence in
the future and help them find their place in life.
Dear friends!
We all are the citizens of Russia. Precisely this unites
us. What is good for Russia is good for us. I wish you do not
think that my words are too high-flown. Maybe such words should
not be said very often. But they should be remembered forever.
They should live in our hearts and make our thoughts and
intentions noble. They should inspire us with pride in the
fatherland.
Thank you.

*********