December 18, 1997
This Date's Issues: 1440  1441  1442

If you live in the Chicago area you can see my television
program "Whither Russia?," an episode of the Center for
Defense Information's television series America's Defense Monitor.
Sunday December 21 at 12:30 pm on WTTW, Channel 11. The rest of
you can order a VHS tape of this up-to-date documentary by
contacting me.
Some of you have been receiving duplicate messages over the
past few days. I think the problem is corrected.
1. AP: Aides Say Yeltsin Will Return Soon.
2. Sovetskaya Rossiya: Interview with Sergey Glazyev, chief of
the Russian Federation Council's Information Analysis Administration,
"Sergey Glazyev: 'The State Could Very Soon Be...Bankrupt'."

3. Ira Straus: Re 1430- Hough.
4. Reuters: New Hope for Russian Ratification of START-2.
5. AP: Ex-General Proposes Army Reform. (Rokhlin).
6. Komsomolskaya Pravda: Yeltsin's Security, Travel Arrangements
Described.

7. The Times (UK): Richard Beeston, Freezing Russians put their
trust in vodka.

8. RIA Novosti: RUSSIAN FOREIGN POLICY IN OUTGOING YEAR WAS ONLY
"50 PER CENT EFFECTIVE, WITH MANY THINGS DONE AND MANY NOT," BELIEVES
VLADIMIR LUKIN.

9. Commersant Daily: MOSCOW MAYOR GETS WHAT HE WANTS.
10. Interfax: Zyuganov Outlines Views on Land Code.
11. Interfax: Yeltsin on Possible Majority Government After Elections.
12. Itar-Tass: Russia "Concerned" at US Weapons.
13. Journal of Commerce: Michael Lelyveld, US: Stow the cell phone
when traveling in Russia.

14. Pravda 5: Post-Soviet Realities.
15. Smena (St. Petersburg): The Population of St. Petersburg Has
Declined by the Equivalent of the Population of Kostroma.
16. Sankt-Peterburgskye Vedomosti: We Are against Exporting Russian
Children.]

Aides Say Yeltsin Will Return Soon
December 17, 1997
By SERGEI SHARGORODSKY

MOSCOW (AP) - Despite a bad cold, Boris Yeltsin talked on the phone Wednesday
with German Chancellor Helmut Kohl, and aides said the Russian president could
return to his Kremlin office in a few days.
Yeltsin and Kohl discussed ``plans for high-level contacts'' in 1998 as well
as a joint project to build a new transport aircraft, the An-70, the
president's office said.
The president has been working several hours a day at the Barvikha government
health clinic outside Moscow, which he entered a week ago with an acute viral
respiratory infection. Doctors have said he would need up to 12 days to
recover.
``Thank God, now he is better and he is working,'' Yeltsin's wife Naina said
Wednesday, according to the Interfax news agency. ``However, we say he should
(work) less, because he never completes the treatment.''
``Nobody is immune from the virus. He needs to recover. It's a pity that it
happened, but I think everything will be all right, he will soon be in shape
and discharged,'' Mrs. Yeltsin was quoted as telling school children near
Moscow.
Yeltsin spokesman Sergei Yastrzhembsky also sounded optimistic at a Kremlin
briefing.
``The doctors said the president would be back within 10 to 12 days, and
he is
going to be back within that time,'' he said, denying Russian media reports
that Yeltsin might stay away for at least three more weeks.
The president's condition is stable, his temperature and blood pressure
normal, and there is no sign of wheezing in his lungs, Yastrzhembsky said.
Yeltsin was likely to deliver his regular radio address next Friday, he added
Last Friday, it was canceled on doctors' advice.
The president's schedule for January, including a visit to India, remains
unchanged, Yastrzhembsky said, adding that Yeltsin also planned to travel to
Malaysia in November 1998 for a summit of the Asia-Pacific Economic
Cooperation forum. The 18-nation APEC has decided to accept Russia as a new
member in 1998.
Dr. Renat Akchurin, the president's heart surgeon, said Yeltsin's current
illness was not related to the heart bypass operation he underwent 13 months
ago.

Economist Glazyev Hits Current Money Policy

Sovetskaya Rossiya
December 6, 1997
[translation for personal use only]
Interview with Sergey Glazyev, chief of the Russian Federation
Council's Information Analysis Administration, by Yuriy Dyukarev, in
Moscow, date not given: "Sergey Glazyev: 'The State Could Very
Soon Be... Bankrupt'"

Our reformers' financial strategy is leading Russia toward
catastrophe. And if this happens it will be not only the government, lost
in its financial-economic fantasies, that appears before the world in the
role of the "emperor with no clothes" but also the majority of us and all
our unfortunate country.
Here is what Sergey Glazyev, the well-known economist and politician
and chief of the Russian Federation Council's Information Analysis
Administration, has to say about this.
[Dyukarev] In your opinion, Sergey Yuryevich, has the crisis passed
its peak now?
[Glazyev] Unfortunately the past few days' events in the financial
market suggest an increase in tension. The flight of non- residents from
our markets is continuing even after the Central Bank and the government
raised interest rates and the state short-term bond yield. The Central
Bank is essentially spending the country's last currency reserves on buying
up state short-term bonds and on ensuring the transfer of foreign
speculators' capital together with the superprofits obtained from state
short-term bond speculation. It is doing this in an attempt to cope somehow
with the fulfillment of its commitments to the IMF on the free transfer of
payments abroad. But as the foreigners dispose of their securities they
snatch their capital at the last moment from under the financial pyramid of
Russian state debt instruments that is threatening to collapse. At the
same time the Central Bank is buying up the state short-term bonds
discarded by the foreigners in an attempt to support this financial
pyramid.
[Dyukarev] How long can this last, in your opinion? Is there even a
distant light at the end of the tunnel?
[Glazyev] Judge for yourself. According to current assessments the
Central Bank has already spent around $8 billion on servicing the flight of
foreign speculative capital. If you bear in mind that its gold and
currency reserves totaled around $20 billion there will be enough currency
to last only until the end of the week if the current situation persists.
This could be followed by the state's financial bankruptcy.
[Dyukarev] Is this not unduly pessimistic?
[Glazyev] You must understand that the Bank of Russia's decision to
widen the currency band and the subsequent effective devaluation of the
ruble signaled its lack of potential in this regard. The country's gold
and currency reserves at the start of November were valued at approximately
$22.5 billion, whereas foreign investments in state securities were valued
at $20 billion. The outflow of Western investments from the state
short-term bond market, according to some estimates, is already approaching
$4-5 billion. The Bank of Russia spent 1 trillion rubles [R] a day all
last week supporting the state short-term bond market alone.
The Bank of Russia today remains virtually the only customer for state
short-term bonds and has amassed around one-half of all of them in its
hands. Together with the Sberbank, which is under its control, you get a
depressing figure of 85-87 percent. What does this mean? Just one thing:
In an attempt to preserve its reputation with the IMF and foreign
speculators at any price the Bank of Russia is "consuming" its final
currency reserves and the whole burden of the imminent financial collapse
is being borne by the population's Sberbank savings and by the state.
Unless there is a change in the Central Bank's priorities, it will
"spend" the gold reserves and then ask the IMF for new loans. But this
will not be enough to support the financial pyramid. After all, until
recently non-residents held state short-term bonds worth almost $15
billion.
Unfortunately, the Bank of Russia itself, it seems, has not abandoned
its policy. The "Basic Guidelines of Money-Credit Policy for 1998"
demonstrate this. It emerges from the document with complete inevitability
that the emphasis will continue to be placed on the inflow of foreign
capital by increasing foreign borrowings as a basis for the
non-inflationary increase of the money supply. In other words the flawed
nature of the previous policy highlighted by recent events is still not
obvious to the Bank of Russia....
[Dyukarev] It is being said that the government's experts are
currently working out the possible options for and consequences of the
granting of a major IMF loan to Russia. They are saying that if this loan
takes place it might be possible to support Russia's financial markets, as
happened in South Korea, Indonesia, and Thailand, which have received $5
billion, $16 billion, $7 billion, and $40 billion respectively [as
published]. What is your opinion?
[Glazyev] This policy can hardly be regarded as correct. It is
correct only from the standpoint of the international financial
speculators' community. Why is this? Because in these conditions they are
calmly shipping all their capital out of our country along with vast
amounts of interest. Whereas the Russian population and the bankrupt state
will continue to wear the shackles of debt.
[Dyukarev] What do you propose?
[Glazyev] I believe that it would have been in Russia's national
interests to temporarily suspend the free export of capital from Russia as
soon as the flight of speculative investments began. At the same time it
should stop the free conversion of the ruble into foreign currency except
for the servicing of import operations until the market calms down.
To broaden the state's stabilization potential it is also expedient to
adopt the long-needed decision on the conversion of export settlements to a
ruble basis. What does this mean? Hard currency export earnings should
remain entirely within the banking system and only rubles exchanged at the
current rate should be paid into the accounts of the exporter enterprises.
This would make it possible to consolidate the currency reserves of both
the Central Bank and the commercial banks and in the long term would aid
the policy of dedollarizing the economy.
You will note that such an approach fully corresponds to the Law on
Currency Regulation and Control. This would make it possible to protect
the residue of the country's gold and currency reserves from being
senselessly squandered. As for the Central Bank, it should abandon the
absurd practice of buying up state short-term bonds that have been dumped
by non-residents and allow these securities to fall sharply in price. This
would substantially ease the burden of redeeming the state debt and offer
an opportunity to get out of the debt crisis in a way that does not hurt
the population and saves state money.
But they are not the only losers now. Russia's banks are also
suffering enormous losses. Unlike non-residents, they cannot take all
their assets abroad. They also detest the policy of "muddling through
somehow." Operations in the interbank market have virtually ceased and
interest rates have soared to 50 percent.
In these conditions a very real paralysis could soon seize the
country's entire payments and money system.