December 15, 1997
This Date's Issues:    14331434

1. UPI: Pike catches Russian fisherman.
2. UPI: Russian cold snap breaks records.
3. St. Petersburg Times editorial: Simple Cold Could Turn
Into Something Far Nastier.

4. Dale Herspring: Lebed.
5. Jacob Kipp: Lebed's Autobiography.
6. St. Petersburg Times: Jonas Bernstein, Populist Ruler Turns
Tsar.

7. AP: Yeltsin Works From Sanitarium.
8. Interfax: Left-Wing Forces Suffer Defeat In Moscow Elections.
9. Interfax-Argumenty i Fakty: Vitaly Gan, "RUSSIA, USA TO TRAVERSE
A ROCKY ROAD.

10. RIA Novosti: ON THE DAY OF FIVE YEARS OF HIS PREMIERSHIP,
VIKTOR CHERNOMYRDIN SAYS HE LOOKS TO THE FUTURE WITH OPTIMISM.

11. AFP: Sun is set to rise on economy in Russia, E.Europe: OECD.
12. Boston Globe: David Filipov, Russia-made starts making a comeback.
13. Los Angeles Times: Vanora Bennett, Capitalism Brings New Smiles to
Russia. Health: Improved dental care is pricey, but many gladly grin
and pay for it.

14. RFE/RL NEWSLINE: NEMTSOV SUPPORTS CHILEAN ECONOMIC MODEL.
15. Jamestown Foundation Monitor: "IMF SURRENDERS TO RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT,"
JOURNALIST CHARGES. (Konstantin Levin).

16. RIA Novosti: RUSSIAN POPULATION HOLDS 30-35 BILLION DOLLARS --
ECONOMICS MINISTER YEVGENI YASIN.]

Pike catches Russian fisherman

MOSCOW, Dec. 15 (UPI) _ A fisherman near Petrozavodsk (``peh-troh-
zah-VODSK''), northern Russia, caught more than he bargained for when a
freshwater pike weighing over 3 pounds bit its captor on the nose and
wouldn't let go.
Itar-Tass says the fisherman was slightly drunk after celebrating his
prize catch and held the pike close to his face, telling it, ``I've caught
you at last, my darling!''
The fish promptly bit him on the nose and held its jaws shut.
Amazed colleagues rushed to the man's aid and chopped the pike's body
off, leaving its head still holding the man's nose.
But the fishermen couldn't release the pike's jaws and the poor victim
had to be taken to a hospital.
A doctor managed to unclamp the jaws to free the poor fisherman's face,
by cutting the pike's jaw ligaments.

Russian cold snap breaks records

MOSCOW, Dec. 15 (UPI) _ A blast of cold air from the Russian Arctic broke
weather records in Moscow, with temperatures dropping to minus 25
Centigrade (13 Fahrenheit).
The weather center says Sunday night's cold snap broke a 105-year-old
record for Moscow but warned the city should expect temperatures as low as
minus 38 Centigrade (minus 36 Fahrenheit).
Officials tell United Press International at least 30 people are
hospitalized with frostbite and hypothermia and one person has died.
City officials have ordered primary schools closed for the next four
days because of the low temperatures.
The weather center says areas northeast of Moscow could expect
temperatures to plunge below minus 45 Centigrade (minus 49 Fahrenheit) in
the next two days.
A spokesman tells United Press International these temperatures would
break some records in Russia, although parts of eastern Siberia have seen
temperatures as low as minus 80 degrees Centigrade (minus 110 Fahrenheit)
in previous winters.

St. Petersburg Times
DECEMBER 15-21, 1997
Editorial
A Simple Cold Could Turn Into Something Far Nastier

When China's Deng Xiao Peng would fall ill from time to time, Reuters
would not turn frantically to the White House for comment. Stock markets
rarely shudder when German Chancellor Helmut Kohl announces he's caught
a cold.
But when Boris Yeltsin looks unwell, U.S. President Bill Clinton
reassures the American public, while The Washington Post tensely notes
the stability of the ruble.
Why? In part because the last time Yeltsin was sick, things happened
that put into doubt the Kremlin's commitment to democracy.
As Yeltsin awaited his by-pass operation in 1996, Prime Minister Viktor
Chernomyrdin and chief of staff Anatoly Chubais were left to mind the
Kremlin. Those two suddenly announced the creation of a new body, the
Cheka, to collect taxes. In Lenin's day, the Cheka were the secret
police - the forerunner of the KGB.
Chubais said he had chosen such a historically weighted name to
communicate the seriousness of the tax shortfall emergency. (Amidst this
crisis, by the way, the government was still granting enormous tax
breaks to the politically connected, including a $1 billion write-off to
Uneximbank and billions more to the oil and gas sector.)
Then on a visit to St. Petersburg in October 1996, just days before
Yeltsin's heart surgery, Chubais announced that the Cheka was not
"temporary," as it had been labeled, and said its mandate was to enforce
better obedience to all laws and decrees and to coordinate all of the
law enforcement organs. He then told journalists that the Cheka was part
of a program of "consolidating power" because "the consolidation of
power, instead of constant mutual intrigues, instead of public
discussions, instead of endless arguments, is exactly what the country
needs."
This was about the regime was preparing for Yeltsin's death. Under the
Constitution, new elections would have had to be held three months after
Yeltsin's death; the winner then would have likely been general
Alexander Lebed.
With his talk of consolidating power into his hands and ending "public
discussions" (i.e., democratic debate), Chubais was signaling the
Kremlin's intention not to hold those elections.
"All is being prepared for the moment Yeltsin dies," Sergei Markov, a
political analyst with the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace,
told The St. Petersburg Times then. "The task is to thwart outsiders who
might come to power through elections."
So here we go again. It's far too early to say anything definitive about
the president's health. But the state of the health of Russian democracy
has long been known to be grim.

********