July 14, 1997

This Date's Issues:   1043 1044  1045 1046

djohnson@cdi.org

[Note from David Johnson:
Can you really have too much of a good thing? Some recipients of
JRL may think so. To them I apologize for the multiple daily
messages. There is simply too much interesting material to
pass on. I do not have the self-discipline to resist. Actually,
it might be interesting to hear how some readers utilize/cope
with this material.
1. Tomas Valasek (CDI): NATO chat.
2. Steve Blank: Armstrong.
3. Wendell Solomons: Great Wall of Russia.
4. Novoye vremya: Jokes of a Master. Luzhkov - Nazdratenko -
Rossel: Party of New Masters.
5. Novoye Vremya: Erik Gofman, "Soviet Science is Dying, Long
Live Science! Science is Facing up to Production as it Casts Off
Deadwood."
6. New York Times: Michael Specter, To Yeltsin, Vacation Sport
Is Like Shooting Fish in a Barrel.
7. RIA Novosti: YELTSIN STARTS TENNIS TRAINING.
8. From Russia Today: Satire by Mary Campbell, Fashion Victim.
(Yeltsin fishing).
9. The Economist: A survey of RUSSIA: In search of spring. Part 6:
The men for the job. And an opportunity to be seized. Lebed rumbles...
as Chubais reforms...and Berezovsky prospers.
10. Floriana Fossato (RFE.RL): Kremlin Wins Key Gubernatorial Election,
Loses Mayoral Vote.
11. RIA Novosti: NEW GOVERNOR OF NIZHNY NOVGOROD REGION OUT
URGENTLY TO RESOLVE THE QUESTION OF REDUCING FUEL AND ELECTRICITY
PRICES.
12. RIA Novosti: STAROVOITOVA: FORMATION OF PRESIDENTIAL TEAM
IS MAJOR RESULT OF YELTSIN`S PRESIDENTSHIP OVER THIS YEAR.
13. RIA Novosti: RUSSIA DOES NOT ONLY ATTRACT OVERSEAS INVESTMENTS,
BUT MAKES INVESTMENTS IN FOREIGN COUNTRIES AS WELL.]

********